VP44

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone on here very knowledgeable on the 44 pump? on my second one now with somewhat similar problems.

the reman one that came with the truck started to get a dead pedal real bad and threw the 216 code. just bought a NEW blue chip pump and was good for couple hundred miles then started the dead pedal and 216 code.

thing i find strange is mainly when the engine is cold or warming up, through different RPMs it sounds like the timing is constantly changing. engine gets real loud and real quite. im assuming loud would be more advance and quite is more retarded. the old pump did this but not as bad. when the engine is the most quite or least amount of diesel knock it will only rev to 1,500 maybe 2,000 rpm and has no power. the truck will also sometimes blow white smoke in a VERY large amount and only rev to 1,500 rpm. it only does this stuff for a short time and goes back to 100%.

the pump is still under warranty so thats not a problem. what im curios about is does all this sound like just a bad vp or possibly something else? ECM or other engine sensors?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the edge display. idles with 20 psi lowest it will go is 10 psi under load. the sender is on the filtered fuel side of the filter housing.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
just put a pump on dads 02
been running a fass pump for years, but have had electrical trouble with the fass off and on there for losing pressure.
latest issue and demise of pump was the fittinhg on top of the tank rusted and was allowing the fass to suck air.
put new fiting and vp44 and all is good.
one other thing to check is the return check valve at the banjo on the return line, there was a new one included with the pump