Voltage gauge bounces all over

1992f250

Reaction score
Hey all, new here trying to figure out an issue with my truck it's a 92 f250 7.3 idi the voltage gauge is bouncing around while driving it's at the L in the "normal" usually today is the second time it's done it to me it's got two new batteries and alternator. I'm wondering if the voltage regulator my be playing a part in this while the gauge is bouncing around I can hit the brakes and when the lights come on it stops or when my head lights come on it stops for a few moments then starts again then randomly it will stop bouncing around for a while then randomly start again if my head lights are on while it's doing it they will flicker till the gauge settles back down any help would be much appricated

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. My voltage gauge moves around quite a bit as well so I replaced the voltage regulator to no avail. I had already replaced the alternator and the batteries earlier. Im thinking its more the gauge its self than anything else. I hooked up a voltmeter and got a steady reading. As the gauge was still moving.

1992f250

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I'm picking up a multimeter after work and gonna check that to see of maybe my gauge is just acting up and no issue with anything else I'm hoping it's just something simple it a bad gauge

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I'm picking up a multimeter after work

Good idea that will take all the guess work out of it. Mine started acting weird after I installed a new alternator after checking with my meter it turns out the gauge is just crappy... Like all my other Ford gauges LOL

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time my gauge bounces is when the GP's are cycling. Maybe just wanna check that they are not cycling for no reason (WTS light might be flickering).

1992f250

Reaction score
Lol yeah all the fords I have owned had crappy gauges. I haven't seen the wts light flickering and haven't noticed any clicking while the gauge acts up like the plugs are cycling

1992f250

Reaction score
Seems I found the problem there was a heavily corroded wire that was kinda make shifted into the voltage regulator harness took if off and properly fixed it gauge stopped jumping around

Averysm09

Reaction score
Lol yeah all the fords I have owned had crappy gauges. I haven't seen the wts light flickering and haven't noticed any clicking while the gauge acts up like the plugs are cycling

That clicking noise that you speak of. I have it, my buddy has it. They are both '93 IDIs, mine is NA, his has a Banks Sidewinder. The "wait to start" light goes off, there is a clicking noise (sounds quite loud) and the voltage gauge jumps back and forth in rhythm with the clicking. I didn't think anything of it (just got my truck and my buddy has had his for over a year now) because he said his has done that since he first got it. Should I worry?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the glow plug controller cycling. Normal!

Averysm09

Reaction score
Boy is that a relief hahaha. I just got the truck, almost a week ago, and I"m going through and replacing the things I can. Most are just interior parts that show normal wear for being 22 years old, and I also plan on changing coolant and engine oil along with fuel filter. I appreciate you clearing that up for me Clb!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sweat, hit the stickies for info and what to be looking for.
Have fun.

olesmokey

Reaction score
Mine was bouncing back n forth going crazy and it was my voltage regulator

1990 f350 zf5
1984 f250 t19