visual difference between 1st gen and later?

GTFD

Reaction score
How do I tell the difference between the 1st generation and later models? Do all the post 1st gen models have electronic engine controls? Thanks

rubberfish

Reaction score
Look at the pump side of the motor. The VE pump
used on the first gen looks much different than the
P7100 used on the second gen which is different
again from the VP44 used on the third gen. :eek: :eek:

Holy cow eh? :D
VE = rotory
P7100 = inline
VP44 = electronic

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Well the first glaring difference is the body of the truck. The 1st Gen has the old squared off body that they came out with in the early 70s. Underneath, the transmission is the 3-speed TF727 auto, the 4-speed A618 auto, or the Getrag 5-speed bolt action.

Under the hood, the main difference visually is the intake hose and injection pump. The 1st Gen intake picks up air from the front right of the engine bay right behind the head light. Later models used a pig tail intake hose that picked up air from the back right corner near the fire wall. The VE injection pump is distinguishable by being shorter in length, all the fuel lines come out the back (towards the fire wall) in a circular pattern, and it has a circular cast housing on the very top of the housing. The P-pump has all the fuel lines coming out the top in a line. The last clue to it being a 1st gen is if there is still a valve cover shroud on the top. The 1st Gen shroud says 160hp 400 ft-lbs stamped on it.

AS for electronics, the 1st Gen '89-'93 truck's only had an electronic ABS sensor and the radio controls. No other electronics; the cruise control had an electronic switch but was vaccuum controlled but the drivetrain was completely mechanical. These are teh VE pump trucks. The 2nd Gen 12-valve trucks which lasted from '94 to '98 were also manual injection but did have a few other electronics in the body for things like ABS. Thes are the P-pump trucks. The 2nd Gen 24-valve trucks went from '98.5 - '02 and used the electronically controlled VP44 pump. These trucks are fully electronic. And of course all the 3rd Gen from '03 on have been using the CP3 common rail system which has more electronics than you can shake a stick at.

GTFD

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, it's the 98.5 electronic I need to ID or more exactly have my female non mechanic cousin recognize. Is there a non mechanical tip off to a 98 being mechanical or electronic like a manfacture date or VIN number? If I need to have her look under the hood is there something obvious a non mechanic will recognize if I coach her what to look for? Thanks

Last edited:

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The first, and easiest, indication is the door badge. If the door badge says "CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL" then it's a 98 with the 12-valve motor; if it says "CUMMINS 24 VALVE TURBO DIESEL" then it's a 98.5 motor with the electronics.

Opening the hood, you can tell her to look on the driver's side of the engine. Near the front is the injection pump. If it's long and parallel to the engine with 6 fuel lines coming out of the top, that's the mechanical P-pump; if there's a plastic shroud over it and wires going in then that's the electronic VE pump.

Lastly, the valve cover on the 12-valve motor are different than the 24-valve. The 12-valve motor uses 6 individual valve cover "cans", one for each cylinder. The 24-valve motor uses a single 1-piece aluminum cover that goes over the entire top of the engine valvetrain.