Vibration between 1100 and 1400 rpm

Joe Martin

Reaction score
I have a 94 idki turbo and replaced all driver side injector o rings and copper washers. After doing so I now have a vibration between 1100 and 1400 rpm. It goes away at idle and once I'm higher than 1500 rpm. I have bled the lines and doesnt help. What could this be?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Joe, both banks need to be done when doing return lines. Does the engine make any peculiar sounds when between 1100-1400 rpms? Any fuel leaks? Theres a good chance one of the injectors got contaminated when you had them out and were replacing the copper washers. If that is the case then your best bet is to replace your fuel filter and fill the new filter with atf when reinstalling it. Start the engine and let it run for awhile to fully circulate the atf into the pump and injectors, then let it set overnight.

Joe Martin

Reaction score
No fuel leaks. While pulling one of the injectors one of them is stuck. Any pointers on how to remove it, seems like its unscrewing itself in the middle.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the injectors taken care of and still have vibration. I'm at a loss
When that injector came apart did you possibly loose any shims or maybe the shims got replaced in the wrong order? This would cause that one injector to fire at a different time than the others.

Most vibrations that I have come in are driveshaft related. Carrier bearing is at least half the causes I would say. There shouldn’t be any play in the driveshaft if you grab it and shake it

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Wes that many vibrations can be traced back to the driveshaft. However, I have been trying to pin down the slight vibration that occurs on my truck from 55-60 mph, or around that 1500-1700 rpm range (3.55 gears) for over a year. My first thought was driveline, so checked all the u-joints, carrier bearing, etc. Checked the exhaust piping too. I can feel the vibration in the floor under my feet, so seems to come from up front. Checked wheel bearing and ball joints-all okay. When the vibration happens, I can turn of OD and kick the rpm's up and it goes away. That tells me it is somehow engine related. I began to suspect my fan clutch, and had a new one on hand, so installed it. Nope-no change. I recently saw a comment on a thread on some other forum that the vacuum pump can cause an rpm related vibration. Anyway, I am still searching for the cause, but may I have provided the OP with some more ideas about what to check.

Joe Martin

Reaction score
Its shaking in park, not sure that that could be a driveshaft issue. Starting to wonder if it could be the harmonic balancer. Any thoughts

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It could be. Do you whether or not you have a Factory Turbo truck? If so, is the engine still a Factory Turbo engine? The Factory Turbo engine used different crank, rods, pistons, flywheel/flexplate, and harmonic balancer. If there's been a mix and match of parts, that could be your vibration issue. The Factory Turbo engines had serial numbers that started 7.3TU2U. ANYTHING else is a N/A block.

Joe Martin

Reaction score
It is a factory turbo truck. I did the clear fuel line test and I have no air intrusion. I did recently put in a rear main seal. Maybe there's something with the flywheel?

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the vibration there before you changed the o rings and washers? If not it has to be something to do with what you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online