Vacuum Pump Oil?

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new Delphi vacuum pump for my 7.3 IDIT. With it came a note stating 'Belt driven vacuum pumps require 10cc of 90wt hypoid gear lube. Top up as required. I've never heard of adding oil to the vacuum pump... did i miss something, should the pump be checked and topped off every oil change?

I assume I have to take the bolt off the back cover to fill it? (No instructions were no provided)

Thanks!

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tagging along. I'm curious what the level is so we can top it off to the correct amount

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Motorcraft VP didn't come with such disclaimer. Guess they got it right the first time.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the bolt on the back and it was filled with oil to the bolt hole, kind of like how full you would fill a differential (to the fill bolt)... Not sure if that is right or not.

Reactions: dgr

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know somebody who uses STP for the vac pump...

In the ten years I've had my F350 CCLB, I've grenaded three of them so far...

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my vac pump oil 8 years ago with some 80-90w synthetic gear oil. I filled it to the fill hole. No issues before or after.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny. Why did you need to buy a motocraft vacuum pump?
Didn't need to, chose to buy Motorcraft.
I have been thru the remans, off brands, etc. Motorcraft always lasted longer than the others since 1992 on my trucks for me.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the failure mode on all your vacuum pumps? Mine, it quit providing adequate vacuum. That's about the only failure I read about on these here.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the failure mode on all your vacuum pumps? Mine, it quit providing adequate vacuum. That's about the only failure I read about on these here.
Actually... none [emoji15].. had a high pitch squeal coming from that area (combined with my bad hearing), convinced myself it was the bearing on the vacuum pump, 'cause it couldn't be the belt tensioner as I just replaced it a year ago. Well.... it was the damn tensioner, my factory original vac pump is just fine. Now I have a spare vacuum pump. [emoji16]

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Reactions: dgr

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All three of mine came apart internally and the back cover came off one but still pumped vacuum... cookoo

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The two I've replaced (1 each on truck and RV) just quitting creating vac. The truck's got weak but was still very usable for braking, then one day put out almost nothing. RV's was weak so I replaced it before it totally died. Ended up swapping the truck's new one from mid 2017 over to the RV because it's a lifetime warranty one from Oreilly. I can walk into any and get another if it dies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online