Vaccum Pump Pulley Removal

farmboy9090

Reaction score
Was wondering what is the easiest way to remove the pulley off my old pump to put back on the new one. Want to do it the correct way to prevent damage to pulley or the new pump. Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The correct/safe way is to use the correct puller.

Harbor Freight has one that is supposed to work; I have yet to get one, but intend to.

Over the years, I have taken a few to a friend, who used to work at the local FORD and now has his own shop, and let him pull them.

A few times, I have had good success by completely supporting the circumference of the pulley as much as possible with identical thickness wood blocks and carefully striking the center of the shaft with a punch, using plenty of good knocker-loose of course.

If you are not very ept, you can warp a pulley using my method. :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The special pulley remover tool can be rented at most fake a$$ parts stores. Of buy it like posted above. Many locations sell this necessary tool because any warp in the pulley ruins it. This tool is also called a power steering pulley remover. They work great removing and installing the pulleys. Make sure you install the pulley correctly. they have a front and back and must be set the proper depth on the sahft. Use the old pump depth for an example. Using heat is a last resort too. To use it removing the pulley is ok but using it to install the pulley is dangerous. 225 to 250 degrees is all the heat thats needed to make it come off or install easier.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both kinds shown on the HF website and to be honest the only time the one on the left comes out the chain visegrip comes out also to clamp around it then the impact gets applied. Mind you now mine is a snapon but it is the only thing I trust to remove a stubborn one. The set on the right will let you install them also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tool I have is similar to the kit on the right. I don't recall where I got it nor the brand. I did not get it from hf. Thats kit hf has listed looks like a fine kit to do both install and remove the pulleys... I would have bought that kit if I knew hf sold them at the time....:dunno

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Tyne power steering pulley pullers won't work for the vacuum pump pulleys. :(

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Also, be aware there are 2 different pulleys and 2 different shafts. I don't remember the details, but the taper is different.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of my many pulleys don't have that neat little grip-ring thingie for the puller to catch onto.

I have no idea just where so many vacuum-pumps have came from around here; swap-meets I guess. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My pulley kit works on both the power steering upmp and the vacuum pump. They are differant parts in the kit for each type. I'm going to have to look behind the rear seat and see just what brand I bought... I think its a Miller but I can't really be sure... And I'm not getting dressed to go out in the dark to find out....LOL;p:angel: I'll post what it is tomorrow...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

If you can get my power steering pulley puller to remove the vacuum pimp pulley then it's all yours.
The cams that lock down over the pulley are just large enough in diameter that they interfere with the pulley itself allowing it to not seat properly.

So let me say that not all pullers will work.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, will have to check to see if the old pulley has a lip on it so the tool can catch it and pull it off. Napa had one that I found on their website.http://www.napaprolink.com/detail.aspx?R=BK_7769253_0006392273#. I dont know if Napa lets you rent it like autozone or what.

It's like 15 bucks, just buy it and throw it in your toolbox then it'll always be there.

If you can get my power steering pulley puller to remove the vacuum pimp pulley then it's all yours.
The cams that lock down over the pulley are just large enough in diameter that they interfere with the pulley itself allowing it to not seat properly.

So let me say that not all pullers will work.

Removing the vacuum pump pulley was what I bought the puller for in the first place, I dunno it works flawless for me, and to put the pulley back on I just use a bolt and a washer, get it kinda started then mount it on the truck with the belt this keeps it from spinning while tightening, make sure the shaft is lubed up.