using xylene

Coopons

Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone used xylene for thinning their wmo instead of rug? I can get my hands on a very large amount for free. Its a pretty heavy duty solvent, so i'm wondering how it might affect overall engine components.

Fattima

Reaction score
People have used it for blending with WVO and it's used in some fuel additives. I'd be wary of using it in too high a percentage, as you say it is a heavy solvent.
Do some mixes and see how much you need to get good viscosity and take it from there.

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that xylene can eat some rubber. It’s not near as bad as acetone, but I think they’re in the same family. The dilution rate for a fuel additive will negate that problem, but thinning wmo will obviously be a much higher concentration.
I’m not saying don’t do it; just keep an eye on any rubber or gaskets.
And do let us know how it works out:Thumbs Up

Coopons

Reaction score
I'm running my first batch made with xylene now. Only have about 50 kms on the truck since I filled up the back tank this morning. Used about 10 litres to 205 litre drum of wmo. Not to sure on that ratio just yet as it did have about 20 litres of old diesel in it as well from a tractor I was working on. Viscosity seems really nice. Truck runs really when on it.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that xylene can eat some rubber. It’s not near as bad as acetone, but I think they’re in the same family. The dilution rate for a fuel additive will negate that problem, but thinning wmo will obviously be a much higher concentration.
I’m not saying don’t do it; just keep an eye on any rubber or gaskets.
And do let us know how it works out:Thumbs Up
I’m not a chemist, but I work with solvents a lot at work. Xylene and acetone are very different. Xylene will soften natural rubbers very quickly like latex or epdm. Nitrile is better, but Viton holds up pretty well. Acetone on the other hand will destroy nitrile and viton, but latex and epdm hold up better. After a while acetone will leech out the plasticizers from an epdm hose, but it will just make it stiff.

Coopons

Reaction score
I’m not a chemist, but I work with solvents a lot at work. Xylene and acetone are very different. Xylene will soften natural rubbers very quickly like latex or epdm. Nitrile is better, but Viton holds up pretty well. Acetone on the other hand will destroy nitrile and viton, but latex and epdm hold up better. After a while acetone will leech out the plasticizers from an epdm hose, but it will just make it stiff.
thank you for the info.