Usable tire size

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
hey guys, gettin some new shoes for old red. Wondering how big a tire i can run with stock height without loosing any turning radius.
1990 f350 4x4
20" wheels
5" offset
9" width

Kinda thinking a 285-55-20

Any thoughts are welcome

Thanks!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 2 inch level kit on my f350 I run 315,75-16 with a set of basic aluminium rims no rubbing at any time stop to stop. I'm not sure the offset but I think they are like stock replacement rims just slightly bigger holes than the Alcoa ones

shawn deere

Reaction score
With 2 inch level kit on my f350 I run 315,75-16 with a set of basic aluminium rims no rubbing at any time stop to stop. I'm not sure the offset but I think they are like stock replacement rims just slightly bigger holes than the Alcoa ones
Did it rub before the leveling kit?
Thats 34.6" tall and 12.4" wide

shawn deere

Reaction score
IMO, one should not run bigger than 17" rims on these trucks
Currious as to why.
I have braced myself for the cost of the tires. I know more rim might make it ride a little harder. But its a 1 ton. Shes not smooth.
The offest is a little concerning to me though.

Thanks for the input guys!

Pullet

Reaction score
I want as much air in my tires as possible, so my rubber can squish farther before I end up buying new tires over a pothole, so I will probably always stay at or below 17". 16s on there now, because they're cheap and easy.

Truck had 16.5"x~12" rims when I got it, and 35s on them which rubbed on the front springs about 1/2 turn before lock. No spacers.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you guys picked up one of those 17 + rims? They are HEAVY and that is unsprung weight. Your shocks will get a real workout using these rims. No Thank You!

Pullet

Reaction score
I absolutely recommend correct tire pressure for load, have been meaning to get a IR thermometer to get more precise; more balloony soft-riding sidewall not getting pinched by the rim on a pothole is my aim.
Air and rubber also weighs less than metal, which matters more to me than cornering stiffness.
If I found some motorized spinners (..still spinning!..)or programmable LED rims that could write or display symbols, I might be tempted to get an extra set of wheels regardless of rim size.

Pullet

Reaction score
I scored cheap steel wheels instead of expensive 16.5"xbig rubber..
You have 20s and a pretty good idea on outside tire diameter (~33" without lifts)/dimensions, or you could sell those and look for 16/17s.. some people like the way big wheels look, though I think that's about the only reason to use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.