Upgrading to electric lift pump

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Seeing how this won't die....

Let's visit the over pressure situation...
We know the calibration is set at 5 psi...
Wes posted placing a bypass regulator after the filter head and placing the bypass back into the feed line from the tank just before the filter head.

So let's talk about the pressure and flow characteristics of this versus dumping it to the return line.

? Does the bypass in the feed line cause the regulator to change properties?
Aka does it kinda defeat the purpose?
Adding incoming psi on the regulator bypass side?

Does dumping to the return backfeed the IP?
Let's chew on it...
@Shaggy

I would think that the ideal way to do it would be to have a bypass regulator after the filter, possibly connected directly to the filter head. The bypass line would feed to the return line back to the tank.

What is the benefit of feeding the return back into the feed line to the lift pump? Less circulation thru the tank? Is it an issue of capacity on the return line not being able to handle the return from the bypass at the same time as the return from the injectors? I suppose, having the bypass return to the lift pump feed keeps the extra tube on the pass side and reduces the amount of extra tubing.

nhwrench01

Reaction score
ok, ill jump in. 1993 f250. idi went with a facet pump. did good for a while.
i turned up the IP, installed a exh,temp guage, ... got a little more power.
then i bought a turbo kit from wes. and a rebuild kit from russ, { both great guys with tons of knowledge}. . turned up the IP pump more, due to the turbo,,, maybe 2./// 2.5 flats total. then found the facet would not supply enough fuel , it would surge on hills, heavy loads and at hi rpms... got a holley red, and its the bomb.. also i did read that wes does a fuel return delete on all his electric pump trucks, so, i did it on mine,, right at the filter head,, blocked off the return line with a plug.
i have been a tech. all my life, and have a (OK) understanding of how things work. as i can and do learn things everyday. but the one thing i do know,,, do it right the first time, it will cost less and you will have less stress and brake downs, plus you will not have to do it again... you can always learn something from others, how not to do it , and how to do it right....

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have one of those $8 pumps as well, I use it as a mini transfer pump or to circulate fuel through a filter if I think it’s dirty. I have the facet on my truck. I got it based on several YouTubers’ recommendations, but then I joined this forum and saw all the negative experiences. My truck is stock, so hopefully it works out. I made a bracket to mount it off the fuel filter housing, which worked out pretty well.

kanderson1779

Reaction score
so i recently did the same upgrade to my 88 f250 7.3 and when i went to start her up the engine is fighting the starter. it will only turn a bit then when i kill th starter it turns the other direction bit kinda lika little kid jerking something away while saying no!. i wanted a better starter so i put the new one on and the same thing. i just got 2 new bats. everything should be a go. maybe some thin fell into the engine. i have been going over this and that for a over a month now when i have the time. i dont want to do anything to it at this point except fix that and only that . problem is i can not find any references to this happening to any one else.