unleaded fuel as deisel addative

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boston because you're gonna ad some headers I'm guessing that your truck don't have a turbo. I have turbos in my trucks that currently run wmo. The added compressed air helps the wmo burn more complete which means less smoke.
Here is my take on additives. Any petroleum based additive can be usefull since it'll burn. Xylene(goof off) is a favorite of mine in gasoline racing vehicles that have a catalytic convertor installed. I also use it as a fuel injector cleaner additive. Tolulene isn't so great for convertors though. I've used regular household oil based paint thinners as a lead subsitute since that and stp lead replacement both are mineral spirits. Alcohols can be used but present their own issues. Household isopropyl already contains water so it doesn't burn well. Alcohol does absorb water but I question how well it'll mix with a wmo solution instead of diesel. This is because I used to mix nitro racing fuel in gas but had to use some cotton towels or t-shirts to separate the left over jelly.
Gas isn't considered the best fuel diluter by many. It offers no lubricity, detonates at lower a combustion pressure, and burns hotter/ faster. I think it was oldbull that posted a few months back that gas hurts your cetane rating and power produced by diesel fuel. That may be true but if you're already throwing wmo in your tank then it's to save money. I have some people that give me old gas from stored vehicles and last season's 2-stroke mix. Oldbull also said that diesel should be used as a mix thinner which sounds like an excellent idea in the summer. Current pump diesel is thinner than 25 years ago but my question is how does it's thickness compare to rug? Rug costs less than diesel usually by about 30 cents. In my area it's 30-50 cents diff. I keep my mix down to about 12% rug, so it's no more than 15% for calculation variations.
Anyone who runs any sort of blend in their diesel vehicle should have a pyrometer installed. Almost nobody wants to blow their engine by experimenting,(friendly ribbing not trying to insult anyone).
Don't really hear much about people running b100 during freezing winter climates unless they have a tank heating system. If I get things ontrack again soon I hope to modify my old mercedes to run wvo year 'round, The winters do get below freezing in Reno so I could have some issues.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your right, no turbo. I was thinking I'd err on the side of caution and rather than boost the pressure on the high end and since I needed an exhaust system anyway I'd lower the pressure on the back end. That and provide cooler air to the intake. I'm beginning to think this odometer rolled over at least once, so older engine might be better off just with better breathing. New IP and what not. Im going to try a blend of bio diesel and WMO as well as some acetone.

someone suggested a hand held pyrometer a while back, seems logical to be able to check the engine at different angles rather than permanently mount the thing.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really don't need that much boost. I only run about 8 lbs so I don't stress anything anyways. Head gasket replacement is a form of cheap insurance even on your engine due to natural gasket deteriation.

A hand held is pretty much a waste of money. The only way to raise the egt is under load. That means traveling on the road at speeds. Hard to do by yourself and your friends might ***** if you yell at them to run faster(lol). You can't constantly hang your head out the passengers window to shoot the tail pipe and besides, the temp is lower at the pipe than by the manifold. No use shooting at the engine from inside the cab because of all the metal in the way.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> It's all petroleum distillates <<<

Anyone that gets all in a panic about a little bitty dab of old unleaded gas mixed in their fuel needs to drive a bulk-tank truck for a while.

Those big long shiny tankers will haul raw crude-oil to the refinery, dump the crude and immediately load who knows what, be it Bunker-C, tar, gasoline, #1-diesel or #2, etc.

They don't wash and rinse between loads; they just let whatever goes in next dilute whatever was already in there.

Let's say they haul a load of gasoline to the Quiky-Trip and dump it into the below-ground tanks, most likely the parking-lot is somewhat on a bit of a grade; no way is all of that gasoline gonna drain out; probably 150-gallons or so is still in there, trapped against the baffles, when they cap the valve and head back to the refinery.

That big old 444-Cummins don't even notice that little dab of gasoline sloshing around in there; besides, it will wash all of the old Bunker-C off the walls.

Next, they load #2-diesel and head to your favorite truck-stop where you always buy your fuel.

The parking-lot is dead-level, so every last bit of fuel goes into the big tanks.

When you poke the nozzle in your shiny new truck that you would rather crawl naked through hot ashes than pour a tea-cup of gasoline in, you are un-knowingly getting a ratio of gas-to-diesel that is more than most are purposefully mixing. :)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Anyone that gets all in a panic about a little bitty dab of old unleaded gas mixed in their fuel needs to drive a bulk-tank truck for a while.

Those big long shiny tankers will haul raw crude-oil to the refinery, dump the crude and immediately load who knows what, be it Bunker-C, tar, gasoline, #1-diesel or #2, etc.

They don't wash and rinse between loads; they just let whatever goes in next dilute whatever was already in there.

Let's say they haul a load of gasoline to the Quiky-Trip and dump it into the below-ground tanks, most likely the parking-lot is somewhat on a bit of a grade; no way is all of that gasoline gonna drain out; probably 150-gallons or so is still in there, trapped against the baffles, when they cap the valve and head back to the refinery.

That big old 444-Cummins don't even notice that little dab of gasoline sloshing around in there; besides, it will wash all of the old Bunker-C off the walls.

Next, they load #2-diesel and head to your favorite truck-stop where you always buy your fuel.

The parking-lot is dead-level, so every last bit of fuel goes into the big tanks.

When you poke the nozzle in your shiny new truck that you would rather crawl naked through hot ashes than pour a tea-cup of gasoline in, you are un-knowingly getting a ratio of gas-to-diesel that is more than most are purposefully mixing. :)

so its kind of like asking whats in a hot dog?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its kind of like asking whats in a hot dog?

I want to repeat what that kid said on that movie when asked what they were made of, but I ain't sure how it would go over here. LOL

Have you ever been in a packing-house ??

Them big meat-saws make meat sawdust that piles up on the floor and under the saw.

In a place that is killing 1500 or more a day, do you think they are gonna toss that out with the trash ??

Oh sorry, h2odrx, I forgot you were eating. LOL

mtran

I`ll improve my Eng
Reaction score
IDI 2500 na ,up to 3% gas,Xylene and Acetone up to 0.2%(only for better combustion),2 tank and no smoke, 80% wmo.I didn`t notice ANY more mpg with acetone.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER
Worked in a pork packing plant during the summer a long time ago, they use every part of the pig except the squeal.
Your point about other types of fuel mixed with diesel is right on. The diesel engine is the catch all as far as fuel types go, it was the flex fuel engine before the phrase even was thought up.
I even heard that years ago they put a small amount of diesel in underground gas tanks, that could have been during the "lead" years of gas.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked in a pork packing plant during the summer a long time ago, they use every part of the pig except the squeal.

Anyone who has spent time working in a packing-house deserves respect. ;Sweet

For several years, we had a huge beef slaughter/packing house that averaged 1500 to 1800 head per day.

Big trucks that go "cchhhh-sshhhhh" rolled in and out of there day and night; big double-deck American Bullnoses bringing in the raw material and big WABASH reefers hauling out the product; the cosmetics company had big trailer-trucks that took away everything that the reefers didn't take.

Although the place went belly-up several years ago, there is not a man around here thirty years old or older that has not at least worked one-half a day in that plant.

Many have worked there from the beginning of first shift until dinner, never to return again. LOL

Some lasted two weeks; and, a very few actually started there on day one and were still there when she folded.

These farmer's kids around here are just not cut out for real work, hence is why, although there is absolutely nothing around here to work at, when some factory does jump in here to tap the big un-employed CHEAP LABOR pool, they soon find that these kids ain't cut out for production work. ;Really

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER
Thanks for the thumbs up but it was one summer.
If you know, everyone been talking about using Regular unleaded, but would a shot of 10% ethanol gas help if there's any water in the wmo, diesel.
I've read how ethanol is very bad for diesel engine but in small amounts would it be better then water. I thinking in the winter time getting the water out would be better then summer.:eek:
I've heard some semi truck drivers using gas in small amounts. And the new ULSD:puke:is even worse in cold weather then the "old" diesel.
Thanks again.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER
Thanks for the thumbs up but it was one summer.
If you know, everyone been talking about using Regular unleaded, but would a shot of 10% ethanol gas help if there's any water in the wmo, diesel.
I've read how ethanol is very bad for diesel engine but in small amounts would it be better then water. I thinking in the winter time getting the water out would be better then summer.:eek:
I've heard some semi truck drivers using gas in small amounts. And the new ULSD:puke:is even worse in cold weather then the "old" diesel.
Thanks again.

Best is to boil off any water before pouring it into the truck.

Actually, water will settle mostly to the bottom and can be drained off.

The trouble is most engine oils have additives that sort of entrain any water and acids and it is hard to separate it completely.

Methanol will absorb the water and is not quite so destructive to the injection-pump.

Some use that ISO-HEET RED-bottle HEET in their diesels to rid the tank of water.

Myself, I would let a GoldenRod see-thru sediment-bowl/water-separating-filter catch the water before it got into the lines. :)

pro439

Reaction score
I am wondering if you'd see a performance gain by adding 1 qt. of race gas to a tank of fuel.Better fuel burn?I use stanadyne performance additive now.Am looking for more.I looked into nitromethane as an additive,but it creates acid when burned in the combustion camber.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I am wondering if you'd see a performance gain by adding 1 qt. of race gas to a tank of fuel.Better fuel burn?I use stanadyne performance additive now.Am looking for more.I looked into nitromethane as an additive,but it creates acid when burned in the combustion camber.

I'm not sure of any side effects, but one of our mechanics at the bus company used to slip some in at service time to clean things up. said he learned the trick working at a mine on their stuff. Those buses didn't have pyros on them , I'd hate to see how hot they were running, as they used to gain quite a few mph over regular goverened speed with that juice in there :eek: