unknown wires towards front of engine, off of glow plug loom?

Ct96

Reaction score
I was trying to do the manual glow plug conversion and it said to remove the old glow plug harness + controller, so I unplugged it from the engine fuse box (big hefty plastic connector) and started to yoink it out, but it was stuck because of two wires that were still connected to the engine, towards the front of the motor. They are not glow plugs, and I cannot find out what they are. Please advise!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Can you attach some pic’s of specifically what you are referring to?

Most just use the current controller. Just run a momentary switch, one end from ground, through the switch, to the small post on the controller with the white wire. That will make the soleniod energize and power the glow plugs.

Last edited:

Ct96

Reaction score
the picture with the green circles is what I don't know the purpose of. The blue circle is showing where the loom starts / is fed off of, in the engine bay fuse box
Its the same loom in both pictures just different locations of it.. I already removed all of the old bullet connectors off the glowplugs and put a new GP harness in, however these things prevent me from removing the loom entirely.

Attachments

• GPWIRES1.jpg
    GPWIRES1.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 26
  • GPWires2.jpg
    GPWires2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 26

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you were given bad advice. Put the wiring and the loom and everything else back together including the glowplug controller.

Then just take the white wire off the controller and tape it. Then put a new wire onto the terminal were the white wire was once connected, run that into the cab to a momentary switch, and then run another short wire on the other side of the switch to a good ground. You are done. Manual glowplugs.

Ct96

Reaction score
I believe you were given bad advice. Put the wiring and the loom and everything else back together including the glowplug controller.

Then just take the white wire off the controller and tape it. Then put a new wire onto the terminal were the white wire was once connected, run that into the cab to a momentary switch, and then run another short wire on the other side of the switch to a good ground. You are done. Manual glowplugs.
Hey, thankyou for taking a look. The reason I want to remove the controller is I have a new White Rodgers controller which i've heard on this forum a few times is somewhat of a more stout upgrade. The reason i'm so worried about these wires is that I tugged on them pretty good, and the big plastic connector too, and I want to ensure I didn't do any damage to that system (whatever it may end up being..)

I took a video that shows the location of these wires a little better, they seem to terminate in some sort of cloth covering and screw into the motor.

Thankyou for any advice.
Video linked down a comment or two, I messed up the link here.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those are the wires for your temperature gauge and the "engine" light. It's also called the overtemp light. It's supposed to come on when the engine overheats.

Ct96

Reaction score
Those are the wires for your temperature gauge and the "engine" light. It's also called the overtemp light. It's supposed to come on when the engine overheats.
Damn!!! I guess I will have to leave that plastic connector hooked up. Thankyou, now I know what to look for when I get the glow plugs all buttoned up. Hopefully I didn't do any damage

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been too long for me to remember correctly. If that's the main engine wiring harness plug, there will be other wires in there that you'll want/need to keep as well. Of it is your main engine plug, you'll only want to remove the two biggest wires. Those are what powers your glow plugs. The rest of the wires are for gauge senders, IP power, etc.