Unknown Date of IH 7.3 Engine Replacement at factory

OldCoasty

Reaction score
Hi. Bought a 1991 Ford F250 a couple years back(7.3 Liter). As the prior elderly owner recently passed away, cannot go to him for info. The truck had only 93000 original miles in 2017. Sometime, in the time he owned it and for unknown reasons after 70000 miles, he had the engine replaced with a new 7.3. As he was from California, he told me the motor was swapped out in that state. Later he moved to se Utah, where I purchased the truck. I'd like to find out when and where the motor was changed so I could get a more clear idea of the current mileage. Any advice on how to go about finding this date? Thanks from Ol Coasty

gandalf

Reaction score
Try taking a careful look at the current engine. Find out whether it is a rebuilt engine, and who did the job. Given the serial number they should, maybe, be able to tell you when they sold it and where they shipped it. That might work.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was done at the dealer, it would be in the computer. I'd take the VIN to your local Ford dealer and ask them if they would run it through OASIS and see what records they have.

OldCoasty

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. A mechanic at DT (diesel tech shop) in Cortez, Colorado informed me mo ths back that infact it was a new IH engine but otherwise then that, not anymore info. Next time I'm in Moab, Ut and/or Cortez, Co, I'll stop at the Ford garage and see what they can look up on their computer system. Carfax shows nothing as far as an engine swapout. As the prior owner had his buddy, Gayle Banks install one of his sidewinders on this motor, maybe they could shed some light on rhe matter. On a sidenote, if anyone who has a 7.3 idi and are thinking about adding a Bank's Turbo unit, go for it ! Case in point, I recently was cruising around in central Colorado where those peaks get to 8000 ft and more and it was amazing how easy it was to pull those steep mountain passes, sometimes not even shifting out of 4th gear. If that was a nonturbo 7.3, I would've been down to 2 gear at 15 mph..m

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a rebuilders will put a plate on the engine somewhere. If you can find that plate and call them they may help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.