U-joints??

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked on advance auto parts and matched up u-joints to my 91 f250HD 4x4 7.3 e40d trans and aftergafter them they're to small....any reason why they would be to small when part stores say they would fit and driveshaft looks stock?
You must be registered for see images attach

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The book the parts stores use and rely upon are known to be inaccurate or they have several options available. It's best to measure the joint you have with a caliper and then match it to what's available.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use only Spicer u-joints. Chinese made u-joints are garbage.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got those small u-joints replace and parts store guy matched the old u-joints to two Moog 331 and 1 Moog 331A (a Dodge u-joint??). The 331 is apparently for a manual transmission 91 f250 but mine is a 91 f250 auto 4x4. The bearing cap on the 331 is I believe 1.118 and rockauto says it'll fit all 3 spots... should I use the Dodge u-joints and with the manual transmission u-joints be ok on my 4x4 automatic transmission?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I found out back in the 90's that it's easier to measure your U-joints. Even better is to take it or them with you when you go into the parts store to order new ones. If that's a possibility.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should I use the Dodge u-joints and with the manual transmission u-joints be ok on my 4x4 automatic transmission?

If your measurements are correct, then it doesn't matter what the book says. Use what measures the same as the old ones. Just triple check everything before you have it torn down and no way to get back to the parts store!

Measure the new joints, don't just assume they're in the correct box. Only takes one guy to accidentally mix them up to mess up your day!

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your measurements are correct, then it doesn't matter what the book says. Use what measures the same as the old ones. Just triple check everything before you have it torn down and no way to get back to the parts store!

Measure the new joints, don't just assume they're in the correct box. Only takes one guy to accidentally mix them up to mess up your day!

Thanks I compared it on rockauto and it's stats are same as one moog has for my truck :)

I just got worried with it being for a different truck

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The book the parts stores use and rely upon are known to be inaccurate or they have several options available. It's best to measure the joint you have with a caliper and then match it to what's available.

^This.

The most common joints I find with Ford diesel driveshafts are spicer 1330, 1330C (big cap), and 1350. 1-1/16", 1-1/8", and 1-3/16" caps respectively.

I have no issues so far with the cheap GMB greasables from rockauto.

Derik McClintock

Reaction score
I JUST went through this. I have an extended cab 2 piece DL, all 3 are the larger U joints..
I'm 900 miles from it or I would send a picture of the box. but go in and tell them you need the bigger ones. They actually showed the correct ones in their system.
And im sorry I can't remember the size of the caps.. i wanna say 1.16? But don't want to steer you wrong. If you can, Pull one and take it down.. match it there.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You can measure u-joint caps in the truck.... no tricks, pretty easy.