Turbo Wrap

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1993 7.3. In middle of ATS 088 turbo install. Thinking about Heat wrapping turbo body or will this cause excessive heat on turbo seals and bearing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for input.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
my ATS 088 isn't wrapped, but I myself don't see any problem with wrapping it if you can find wrap material that will stay on it.
With adequate oil supply for cooling & lube, bearings & seals should take all extra heat that could be generated when wrapped.
Wrapping would channel to good use instead of wasting heat.
Others here may have different input.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory Turbos have a metal heat shield that is formed around the turbo and held in place with pins. I plan to wrap my turbo and all the pipes/manifolds. If they rust out I'll make new outta stainless. I've been looking at building a whole new pipe system for better flow anyway,but theres not a lot of room in there for hedders/bigger pipes.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wrapped mine. I used the thin header wrap, about 1" wide and the special paint stuff to seal it. I first took th eturbo housing down to bare metal then gave it quite a few coats of the paint, then wrapped it and coated the wrap with a bunch more light coats. The wrap hasn't budged ( and I had to manhandle the thing quite a bit when I stuffed that engine, because I had a clearance issue due to bad cab mounts, and it took a bit to figure that out. )

----------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That Thermotec stuff is what I used along with their high heat paint.
I found it all on the shelf at the local Advance

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01