Turbo Question!

Billy

Reaction score
I hate to wear out my questions for the week, but........ I just found a used Turbo Charger taken from a 86 Ford 250 Dually 6.9/7.3. Its a stock Ford Turbo charger complete selling for 500 bucks!

My question is - would this fit my 1994 7.3L idi E350???

Thanks!

Bill:yell:

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
It should without any or little modifying. That will be a bear to install though, little room in thier to work. I hate working on vans!

Billy

Reaction score
Thanks! A turbo may make my towing concerns a thing of the past. And its a great price.:thanks:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billy, you said its top speed is 65... are you redlineing there or running out of power.... Thhe turbo ideas sounds great, and I agree, it might be tight under there... Is this one you work on from the inside?

Billy

Reaction score
Turbo Question

I have my foot duct taped to the floor board and I could just get 65 miles an hour.

I am hoping I can get the motor up to par to do better than that. With the tips on sea foam and fuel conditioner, filters and such that I got off the forum, I was able to increase power and clear up some of that smoke.

I took it in to have the injectors changed yesterday, hoping that will make a difference also.

I did some reading on the ATS website and they say a turbo is very helpfull for towing and I am hoping it helps my top speed.

Still worried about that rear end though. 4.10 gears non limited slip really has the motor screaming at 65 miles an hour. Maybe a better tranny with OD? or change the gears out in my rear?

And yes the vehicle is a E350 Van shuttle. Everyone has been telling me they hate to work on those. Theres a "doghouse" like cowling removed on the inside to get to the back half of the engine.

I've got patience like a starving badger loose in old country buffet so I should be able to create all kinds of new curse words putting that turbo in, for my first time!
:thanks:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, an E350..... Fun.... I am guessing that you are running close to redline with your foot to the floor at 65? Do you have a tach? Even with a turbo, your rpms and top speed will not change... Unless your not at redline... But for long cruises, you would not want to run those rpms anyway.... A 4.10 rear end is not that bad, if your tranny is geared OK.. It sounds like both are pretty stout.... Do you know what tranny you have in there now? C6?

Billy

Reaction score
Shuttle Bus project

Its a C6 Trans no OD. But an OD wouldn't do any good towing anyway I suppose.

It would be great to have one more gear to go to. I think I'll have to change that rearend.....?

Got to get the motor right first, I hope the injectors do the trick, but I have been asking around about my gearing problem. Anybody have any direction for trannies and rearends?

Bill:confused:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the normal c6 in the trucks with a 4.10 will do more than 65. My friend has a 6.9 in a 87 ford... My fear with the big bus, and changing the gears higher, is that you will lose it towing power and be bad on fuel or unable to tow.

What are your rpms at 65????

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, a C6 huh, bummer.

Ive got 4:10's in my F350 but have the E4OD tranny. It tows plumb fine and my RPM's at 70 are around 2200. You must have gotten a screaming good deal on this ride, sounds like you'd be just as well off (if you are serious about the rear end change, new injectors etc etc) to go find a clean '95 or up E350. You get the PSD, E4OD and a little newer ride.

Billy

Reaction score
Rearend change VS tranny change

Well...I did get a pretty good deal. The vehicle has a 30,000 mile reman, block from Ford. Tinted windows, a brand new black coat of a paint put on last year, six brand new tires, stainless steel rim covers and brand new brakes. Also has a brand new class three hitch and electric brake controls installed. The inside has been carpeted, floor and walls, oak trim everywhere and a black leather coach, love seat and matching storage bench. A brand new Clarion 6 speaker 6 Cd changer installed into an oak cabinet.

Injectors cost me less than 200 bucks and a shelf of sea foam for less than 50 is all I have spent so far.

If I buy the turbo for $500, a reman. tranny (E40D?) for $700, and change the rear end out for another $1000. I'd have a pretty good vehicle for under $8000. Brand new a ford shuttle bus will sell for $50,000. And that one comes hospital white with vinyl bench seating.

If the 4.10 gears work in your E350 well at 70mph, maybe a transplant tranny would do the trick, that would be easier than a rearend change. HMMMMM......I wonder if I could find a used E40D that would hook up to that 7.3 idi? The Bus does make quite a hole in the air when its pushing 65, This rear end change sounds more and more like a bad idea, the tranny change would help for towing by giving me more gears to go to.......hmmmm.

Maybe when I get these injectors in I'll gain some power. It doesn't have an tach so I am just going by my ears.

Thanks again for the direction, I knew this would be a project.

Bill
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it does sound like you have scored a good deal on the rolling chassis for sure. As far as dropping an E4OD in. The "E" denotes electronic and needs a PCM and all the goods to function properly. I cannot speak intelligently enough to say if your E350 has the PCM needed to operate a E4OD. When the 95's came out with the PSD's in them they made the whoe shebang run off the PCM.

Billy

Reaction score
Better Tranny

I can't believe Ford doesn't have a 4 speed od tranny for that year and a 7.3L. That engine is used in so many applications. There got to be one for towing and highway use that can comfortably get me up to an all day 70 mph range....?

Billy:confused:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Better Tranny

Originally posted by Billy
I can't believe Ford doesn't have a 4 speed od tranny for that year and a 7.3L. That engine is used in so many applications. There got to be one for towing and highway use that can comfortably get me up to an all day 70 mph range....?

Billy:confused:

And that is the reason I said I cant speak intelligently on that particular subject. The E4OD may very well fit right in and perform just fine, I unfortunately cannot tell you that "yes it definelty will" or "heck no, not unless you plan on dumping a couple of G's into it"

Somebody will happen along with the right info purty quick here,

:yell: GEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fords are like the chevys, you can get the chip to run the tranny alone, without seeing the motor ecm.... what about a allison 2400... a ups truck tranny or an motor home trany...

Billy

Reaction score
RV Tranny?

An RV tranny search might be a good start....theres got to be plenty of those out there from 1994. Maybe a good transmission dealer or a search engine attempt will bring up some info.

I live west of Minneapolis and theres plenty of commercial truck engine and tranny shops along the highway heading to South Dakota, I could call there and hope to find a friendly mechanic who is willing to talk to me..........hmmm...what do you think the chances are of that?

I think I'll do a search engine under Ford tranny applications

Billy:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online