Turbo problems

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've mounted the turbo and oil feed. The holes I punched into the CDR/oil drain aren't doing it; It leaked a ridiculous amount from that spot. Also, once I plumed the oil to the turbo it seems to not want to spin... although it was spinning free when I had it out. So I'm stuck, I already had the Banks downpipe installed and now it seems like all that work is worth sh@$!!! I've already cut the existing NA pipes to meet to weld a 2-3" elbow connection for a crossover.

Instead of taking another gamble on a used turbo I'm tempted to throw a HC1 18.5cm CXRACING knock off in there and deal with how I'm going to pipe it down.

So has anybody had the problem with the turbos seizing up when you mount them?! It will spin, but it seems to be rubbing.

This is turning into a nightmare.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a deep breath and recheck everything. If the turbo is rubbing and not spinning you need to rebuild it. Pull it off and check your play in the wheel. Did you hook up your cdr? If not the oil will over run your seals and into your downpipe.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you clean out the oil feed port you’re getting oil from. Many have said there was crud when removing plug from oil passage that would clog the oil feed.

That's the first thing that I thought of.
Russ cautioned me about this. I got up in there with carb cleaner and a long skinny brush and then after I hooked up the feed line I cranked it until it flowed just to be sure.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I've cleaned out the oil feed and the place where it comes from. The turbo was spinning freely the first time I mounted it, but when I had fed oil to it, it started to rub. I believe it needs a rebuild, upon searching EBay I found the housing, seals, and wheels for sale. I'm strangely tempted by the CX turbos. How much boost would a large housing HC1 put out on a 6.9? I am running studs as well.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'm getting no oil in the downpipe. I had a tiny bit of play to the turbo if I really pushed it, but other than that it spun free.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the specs for the HC1? Is it t3 or t4? I would contact Russ aka typ4 on here for a rebuild and upgrade kit

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H1C is a T3 and the 18-21cm exhaust housings are considered gutless and low boost on a 1st gen cummins. Many cummins owners swap to a 12-14cm exhaust housing for more boost. So I'm thinking with the extra liter of displacement that it would spool quicker; yet wouldn't overboost due to the fuel that's being pushed by the mechanical fuel pump. And I'll definitely try to contact Russ, thanks!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking an h1c will be much too small from what I have read on people swapping on hx35s onto our trucks, possibly not much of an upgrade there. I would look into a tp38 as an upgrade and you can find them for less than $300 if you spend some time looking

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
TP38 is a 7.3 Powerstroke turbo. It has reverse rotation so it won't fit. Or more precisely it isn't worth it to make it fit. S2xxSXE if you are going for a turbo that didn't come from a kit. R&D lists on site. The SXE line is like free horsepower with todays technology, not 30 year old tech. Not sure if it was S269 or what, there are so many choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online