Turbo on a 93.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Hey I have a 93 cummins with a stock turbo on it with a new fuel pin from PDR, 3200 spring, the pump just barely turned up(plan to really turn it up when I get new injectors), and I have a cone air filter on it (you can really hear it whistle). I just put my boost gauge in and i can barely hit 10 psi this is pedal on the floor. From the research I have done this seems low. I made a boost leak tester and I couldn't find any leaks but did notice that the turbo was leaking some oil into the pipes so I was wondering if the turbo is on its last leg? Any one have some input. Thanks.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Have You lost engine oil? I would check that turbo before it goes really bad and starts feeding the engine with its own lube. Also what transmission do You have there stick or auto? Do You have a fuel pressure gauge to let You know if You have enough fuel at the IP to make any boost?

10psi is very low for a 6bt, I can build easily 25psi empty so You could have as You suggested an air leak, bad turbo, not enough fuel psi = bad fuel pump.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
I have lost very little oil I left the pipe off and it is just a few drops dripping out. As for tranny I have the 518. No I do not have a fuel pressure gauge on it but she blows a little black smoke so it is getting enough fuel to do that.(Not sure it makes a difference but i forgot to mention before that this is in a 91 f-250)

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Either your gauge is faulty, your hook-up is leaking, or your turbo is dead. My 93 with the mods in my signature will sometimes kiss 22 psi but most often 20 is my max. The H1C in these trucks takes a while to spool and all but peaking out at 10psi you've got to be making a huge cloud of smoke as you put-put down the road.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Well its not in the gauge because I hooked up my old 15psi gauge I ran on the idi I had to check and it read the same. Also thought of the leak around where I tapped in but I should have been able to hear or feel that when I hooked up the air leak tester to it(maybe i'll put some seal all or something around it just in cause). Turbo has a little play on the shaft sideways but not up and down but no more then the turbo on my friends truck and it sounds like its working but when driving it you can tell its not there. And it isn't making that much smoke I was not the one who turned the pump up but was told that it was just bumped up a little for when the guy pulled trailers with the dodge so its just a little taking off or if you just hit the pedal it puffs out a little cloud.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Well I started taking it from a port that I read people were taking it form on another thread and got that low reading so wanted to try it somewhere else so I drilled a hole and taped right into the intake horn.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm guessing the port is the hole just under the intake horn that had a plug in it. That's where I take my readings from as well.

All I can suggest is that maybe your boost line is kinked or has trash in it. I'd also check to make sure you're not losing oil and getting proper lubrication to the turbo.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Yeah thats where I started taking it from. Thought of the line thing to so I put a new line on too. How do I check to make sure it is getting proper lubrication?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
First thing to do is pull the line going from the oil filter mount to the turbo and make sure that the line is open. If you have a toothpick or something you may poke around inside the turbo to make sure there's nothing blocking it there. I'd also recommend hooking the line to the filter mount but not the turbo then cranking up very briefly to see if you're getting oil flow.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and see what exhaust housing is on your turbo. When my 91.5 was stock, it had the terrible 21cm housing and it made about 13psi max. It was terrible. Unless you have verified that your engine is a 93 and has stock parts, you are only guessing as to what is. Just as a side note, we have a stock 93 at work and it feels like a complete dog after getting out of my truck.
Travis..

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Where would I find the size of the exhaust housing? I pulled the engine out of a 93 dodge and the guy who owned it said he had left it all stock. I had the truck out again today and was messing with it and was able to hit 15 pounds but was with the pedal on the floor and the motor screaming.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Thanks that site seems to be full of all kinds of good information. I have an 18cm housing on my truck then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online