Turbo 240D?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Anyone have experience installing a turbo on a taxi? Or is it a waste of time and money, better spent on a 300SD?

Last edited:

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting a turbo on a 240d is not a good thing. in the past I looked into it and found a bunch of reasons. Suffice it to say I was told- engine rods, transmission, rear end, along with a few others that don't come to mind right now, just cannot take the added twist.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting a turbo on a 240d is not a good thing. in the past I looked into it and found a bunch of reasons. Suffice it to say I was told- engine rods, transmission, rear end, along with a few others that don't come to mind right now, just cannot take the added twist.
What he said. More to the point, the naturally aspirated engines (616 and non-turbo 617) don't have oil jets squirting the piston bottoms to keep them cool, and IIRC the turbo engines have Iconel valves whereas the n/a engines don't.

You could put one on, although it would take some fabrication since no 4-cylinder 61X engine came with a turbo (you'll need a custom exhaust manifold, for example), but it will shorten the engine's lifespan. How much, I can't say for sure, but IMHO it's not worth the risk.

If more power is truly needed, you could just drop in a complete 617 turbo engine. It's a bolt-up swap ;Sweet I would also recommend changing out the rear end, since turbo cars had a taller gear end ratio (3.07, or 2.88 for '85 cars) than the naturally-aspirated cars (I want to say in the 3.73 range, but I don't remember for sure).

With that said, the 240D is a simpler chassis than the 300D/TD. You usually have manual windows, and more importantly, you have manual climate control, compared to the problematic climate control that any 300D's going to have ('81-'85 ACC setups are more reliable than the earlier design, but still have issues). For a fleet vehicle, the 240D chassis is easier and will provide much fewer headaches, even if a 617 turbo engine is swapped in. If it's a 4 speed manual, even better ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....... If it's a 4 speed manual, even better .....
wrong.
you have not known fear until you attempt to outrun oncoming traffic on 19th ave in SF with a 240D loaded legally wiith 5 adults.
rev it up and drop the clutch.......and PRAY.
since that experience, the car was quickly sold afterwards.
oddly enough a '87 190D 2.5 has bigger balls than a 240

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
All the responses I expected. Thanks! I had a 1984 190D NA that didn't have a lot of low end, but was a great highway car. Thinking about a 240 or 300 to replace my BMW v12 that takes $100 plus to fill every 10 days.

bigpanda16

Reaction score
A turbo on a 240d would not be a big deal if youre only talking 4-5psi... As long as you arent trying to hotrod it and only trying to make use of the unburnt fuel that comes with a naturally aspirated diesel. My mom has the n/a 78 300d: its a dog

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
some misinformation here

I have looked into this as well and have done lots of reading and also have worked on both OM616 and OM617,
I to had a 240 awesome lil car but it was a rust bucket so i keped the engine/tranny and scraped the rest and am going to put the 240 engine in a suzuki samurai

Anyways the 240D engine is just a 300D engine minus a cylinder and the oil jets, other then that there pretty identical and pretty beefy inside. As for the oil jets... We all know that turbo charging lowers egts so ther should not be to much of a problem.... Case in point GM 6.5 diesels dont have oil jets. Lots of people have turbod GM 6.2s again no jets.. and various other NA diesel engines have had turbo kits manufactured for them.

As for the turbo it self the easy solution is to grab the turbo and manifolds and oil filter housing from a 300D engine, you just have to cut the back port off the manifolds, weld in a patch, and everything is a bolt on after that (and add an oil drain port to the oil pan). Lots of info on the web about that. Rajay made a kit for the OM616 but they are hard to find

As for the rest of the drive train its quite capable of the power. The rear axel is the same as the 300D lots of people bolt the 4 speed trans and clutch off the 240 on the 300D engine with out problems.

Id go for it, I plan on turboing the 240 engine once i have it installed. People seem to run fine with out probs at 10 PSI and apparently it makes the 240 car a zippy lil car once tuned...

And besides if you do blow it up ther are lots of 240 engines to be found and cheap caus nobody wants them hahahaha

Turbo OM617

Reaction score
Anyways the 240D engine is just a 300D engine minus a cylinder and the oil jets, other then that there pretty identical and pretty beefy inside.
That is false information.
The only common parts shared between turbo and non-turbo 617's are the oil filter assembly and valve cover.
Everything else... block, cylinder head, crank, rods, pistons, prechambers, injectors, oil pump, cam, valves, oil pans, cooling system, transmission, vacuum pump and injection pump are all different. Strengthened, redesigned for increased cooling capacity, or improved for air/fuel flow.

As for the oil jets... We all know that turbo charging lowers egts so ther should not be to much of a problem.
That is false information. Please do not assume things you don't know about.
EGT is exactly that, EXHAUST gas temperature. COMBUSTION temperature is increased with turbocharging, even with no additional fuel. That is because even at "low" boost of 5psi, the turbo doubles the air temperature going into the engine.

Case in point GM 6.5 diesels dont have oil jets.
http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/GM99Diesel/6_5LV8TurboDieselFeatures.htm

As for the turbo it self the easy solution is to grab the turbo and manifolds and oil filter housing from a 300D engine, you just have to cut the back port off the manifolds, weld in a patch, and everything is a bolt on after that (and...
You will have to revv the **** out of the engine to make any boost.

As for the rest of the drive train its quite capable of the power. The rear axel is the same as the 300D
The 300D has a 3.46 in non-turbo and 3.07 or 2.88 in turbo. The 240D has 3.69.

So before you go bashing people about "misinformation" anywhere again, I suggest you do some basic research on diesels in general so you won't post so much misinformation in your next reply.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online