Trying to replace thermostat, cant find replacement rubber seal

Reaction score
IIRC, my original had it but the replacement Motorcraft didn't. But when i dropped it in, fit was fine. I THINK they redesigned it to have the metal flange diameter be big enough to not need the gasket/o-ring.

Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have never had a ring around the rim. Only the body. It has to be some aftermarket thing to fit other engines, remove the one on the rim if its there.

And the reason you cant use just any old 2 inch stat is because of what gary said, the bypass wont get closed when stat opens and hot coolant will recirc thru and just keep building heat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run only the motorcraft thermostat. It is ALWAYS correct. It started to open at 192 degrees and is fully open at 212 degrees. It opens much wider than the aftermarket stats will so more coolant will flow thru it.Then cutting off the rubber seal that seals off the opening allows more flow. That rubber seal stays against the body as it opens. You can peal it down when its cold just to see what it does. No need to remove the glued on part. I just remove the bellows type seal at the opening.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They have never had a ring around the rim. Only the body. It has to be some aftermarket thing to fit other engines, remove the one on the rim if its there.

And the reason you cant use just any old 2 inch stat is because of what gary said, the bypass wont get closed when stat opens and hot coolant will recirc thru and just keep building heat.
Thanks Russ. Hammer it home...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight