Truck won't start anymore, no fuel out of ip

Clay46

Reaction score
1984 f250 with a 6.9l and i went out one morning to start my truck and it wouldn't start, tried till the batteries died and didn't even sound like it wanted to start. I have recently replaced the fuel filter, injectors, return lines, water separator, glow plugs and batteries. I tried replacing the injection pump as i figure that was going out because i was having hard starts and white smoke while cranking then would run rough for about 10 minutes then would clear up but still had a slight miss at idle on cylinder 2. The pump on was a pump that was supposedly used for a week and then the guy i got it from parted out his truck and thats how i got it so it is possible that the new pump i got is also bad but while i was trying to bleed the system i found that i did not have good fuel pressure, so i put a new lift pump on and now i get fuel up to the injection pump but absolutely nothing out of it to any of the injectors. I have pulled all of the injector lines almost completely off the injectors to see if i was getting fuel and nothing was coming out, i just don't know what else to look at other than the pump i got was bad? Would a bad injection pump still put out some fuel? I'm just at a loss and don't know what to do next. I do also have a fully running second idi of the same year i could pull parts off of if needed

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the fuel shutoff solenoid hooked up? On top of the ip should be 2 conections. Both have red/ yellow stripe wires iirc. The shutoff is the one closer to the front of the truck. A quick way to check if you're getting power, or if the solenoid is any good is by taking a jumper wire with two alligator clips and connect one to the hot battery side. Take the connector from the truck off first. Then touch the spade connector on the ip and listen for a click. That's the fuel shutoff opening and closing. Put the jumper on and try starting the truck.
Your miss sounds like a bad injector. It'll smoke like that if it's leaking.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It sounds like it's sucking air in the fuel lines.The easiest way to be sure of this,is to let it sit overnight,then in the morning,pull the fuel filter,and if it is not %100 full,that means there is a leak/pinhole some where,causing all the fuel to back drain to the tank,leaving you with a bunch of air in the lines when you go to start it up.I had this happen to both my trucks,so I just replaced the bad fuel line,and converted to an electric fuel pump,so there is no more cranking till' the batteries or starter die,you just turn the key on,and by the time your glow plugs have cycled,the fuel sytem will be primed,and it will start right up.Be sure not to overlook the metal fuel lines,especially the line that goes over the cross member right before the mechanical lift pump.All of the rubber fuel line on my f250 was in great shape (I replaced it anyways of course)but all the metal line was really pitted,and that one metal line before the lift pump had a bunch of pin holes in it causing air intrusion.

Rock

Clay46

Reaction score
Is the fuel shutoff solenoid hooked up? On top of the ip should be 2 conections. Both have red/ yellow stripe wires iirc. The shutoff is the one closer to the front of the truck. A quick way to check if you're getting power, or if the solenoid is any good is by taking a jumper wire with two alligator clips and connect one to the hot battery side. Take the connector from the truck off first. Then touch the spade connector on the ip and listen for a click. That's the fuel shutoff opening and closing. Put the jumper on and try starting the truck.
Your miss sounds like a bad injector. It'll smoke like that if it's leaking.
I have checked the solenoid and it clicks when i put power to it, also the miss was happening both before and after putting in new injectors. Adding all those new parts did not change how the truck started or ran other than injectors which took it from about 15 seconds of cranking to start to 10 seconds roughly

Clay46

Reaction score
It sounds like it's sucking air in the fuel lines.The easiest way to be sure of this,is to let it sit overnight,then in the morning,pull the fuel filter,and if it is not %100 full,that means there is a leak/pinhole some where,causing all the fuel to back drain to the tank,leaving you with a bunch of air in the lines when you go to start it up.I had this happen to both my trucks,so I just replaced the bad fuel line,and converted to an electric fuel pump,so there is no more cranking till' the batteries or starter die,you just turn the key on,and by the time your glow plugs have cycled,the fuel sytem will be primed,and it will start right up.Be sure not to overlook the metal fuel lines,especially the line that goes over the cross member right before the mechanical lift pump.All of the rubber fuel line on my f250 was in great shape (I replaced it anyways of course)but all the metal line was really pitted,and that one metal line before the lift pump had a bunch of pin holes in it causing air intrusion.

Rock
I will check that in the morning, the truck has been sitting for a few days now so if it is leaking it would have had plenty of time to leak out. But from what i can see the previous owner replaced most of the metal lines but looked like the rubber ones might be old and the truck did sit alot before i got it so it wouldn't suprise me if one of the hoses are cracked

Clay46

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that i also have been trying to bleed the system for three days aswell and still got no fuel out of the injection pump

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try cracking open an injector line while turning the engine over? Just to see if you get fuel out of the line. Either have someone turn it over or use a remote starter switch and press in the schraeder valve on the filter head to see if any fuel is coming up. Still sounds like the shutoff. Or you have a big air leak.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you say you replaced the water separator on the firewall, or bypassed it. That is a big air leak if used. Most people bypass that . It's on my list. Once you pull that ring you're bound to get air.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's how I see this. You know that your FSS is working. You started throwing parts at the truck because it wouldn't start one day. You can get fuel to the IP, but not out of it. Your new (to you) IP was used for only a week and then the truck was parted out. I can see several possible issues here so I have to ask a few questions. How did you test your FSS? Did you use a jumper wire? If so, you should next check to see if the power wire for it has power when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, this may be what caused the sudden no start issue in the first place. This should have been one thing to check WAY before buying any parts. Why was this IP put on a truck, used for a week, and then parted out? That right there sounds fishy to me. Do you know or can you find out where the IP came from? There's A LOT of places out there that sell poor quality fuel system parts for our trucks at a cheap price. If you've been trying for three days to get the IP bled out and still aren't having any luck, then it's time to move on to another plan. If you can't get any info on the IP, maybe try putting your other one back on and seeing what that does. If you weren't getting any fuel from the old lift pump, that may have caused your original issues which you may have fixed, but you don't know if you have now installed a bad IP. If everything else fails, I'd put the pump and injectors from your other engine that you know runs on to this one (don't forget to buy a return line kit too). The IP and the injectors wear at about the same rate so if one is worn out, then the other(s) aren't very far behind. I think that you need to do some diagnosing before you spend any more money on parts that may or may not fix your truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Did you try cracking open an injector line while turning the engine over? Just to see if you get fuel out of the line. Either have someone turn it over or use a remote starter switch and press in the schraeder valve on the filter head to see if any fuel is coming up.
Yes, he said that the lines were almost all the way off of the injectors and he's getting fuel to the IP.

Clay46

Reaction score
Did you say you replaced the water separator on the firewall, or bypassed it. That is a big air leak if used. Most people bypass that . It's on my list. Once you pull that ring you're bound to get air.
I got rid of the old setup and made a new setup with a naaa filter head

Clay46

Reaction score
Did you try cracking open an injector line while turning the engine over? Just to see if you get fuel out of the line. Either have someone turn it over or use a remote starter switch and press in the schraeder valve on the filter head to see if any fuel is coming up. Still sounds like the shutoff. Or you have a big air leak.
Yes. This is how i have been doing this

Clay46

Reaction score
Here's how I see this. You know that your FSS is working. You started throwing parts at the truck because it wouldn't start one day. You can get fuel to the IP, but not out of it. Your new (to you) IP was used for only a week and then the truck was parted out. I can see several possible issues here so I have to ask a few questions. How did you test your FSS? Did you use a jumper wire? If so, you should next check to see if the power wire for it has power when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, this may be what caused the sudden no start issue in the first place. This should have been one thing to check WAY before buying any parts. Why was this IP put on a truck, used for a week, and then parted out? That right there sounds fishy to me. Do you know or can you find out where the IP came from? There's A LOT of places out there that sell poor quality fuel system parts for our trucks at a cheap price. If you've been trying for three days to get the IP bled out and still aren't having any luck, then it's time to move on to another plan. If you can't get any info on the IP, maybe try putting your other one back on and seeing what that does. If you weren't getting any fuel from the old lift pump, that may have caused your original issues which you may have fixed, but you don't know if you have now installed a bad IP. If everything else fails, I'd put the pump and injectors from your other engine that you know runs on to this one (don't forget to buy a return line kit too). The IP and the injectors wear at about the same rate so if one is worn out, then the other(s) aren't very far behind. I think that you need to do some diagnosing before you spend any more money on parts that may or may not fix your truck.
The parts weren't just thrown at it, i had my reasonings for replacing everything except for the ip and lift pump. Everything else was replaced over the last few months and mostly because the previous owner had either cheap parts or in the case of the return lines and water separator they were leaking. I checked the FSS with the key on and pulling the connector off and putting it back on. Its a standyne pump and the guy i got it from got it but never used it because his engine blew before he needed it but he told me the guy he got it from used it for diagnosis and pulled it back off his truck when he found it wasnt the problem. I thought i did mention this truck had brand new injectors and return line kit. Both of which have been on the truck for about two months before this issue occurred

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.