Truck won’t start

Dawsonw

Reaction score
My 1992 7.3 idi has decided not to start after a drive home. It turns over fine but it just won’t hit at all. I’ve cracked all the injectors open but only one leaked a little air along with diesel but it continues to leak while it fully tightened. Truck will barely even hit off of ether. Any help would be great

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How good is your starter and batteries? You really do have to have good cranking speed to create ignition. If you batteries are weak, I'd suggest cleaning the connections and putting them on a serious charger and/or jumping with something with a serious alternator.

Couple other thoughts: Have you verified that your fuel pump is good? When you push the Schrader valve do you have fuel pressure?

How old is your injector pump and injectors? Do a quick search on the "water over the injection pump" as this might be something to try if your pump is old/questionable.

Lastly, put the details of your truck in your signature, it will help others help you.

Dawsonw

Reaction score
Well first I looked for the Schaefer valve but it was not on the stock fuel pump. The guy before me but a big fram electric fuel pump on it. I’ve only had it for about 3 months and it’s been great besides the glowplugs not working. So I put 7/8 glow plugs in it (motorcraft of course) and drove it around town for an hour or two and drive it home but in the morning it didn’t not want to fire even after being plugged up all night. Usually when I plug it up all night the temp gauge is almost at halfway but it will not move now.

Dawsonw

Reaction score
update i ran a jumper wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid and it started right up. does anyone have a diagram of how these wires run?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You don't really "need" a diagram. Follow the wires back.
Did you check the fuses?
Is everything else working fine?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dawsonw

Reaction score
Alright #11 fuse was blown going to get another one and we will see what happens from there. Thanks for all the help

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on unplugging the fuel heater. The general consensus is the fuel heater isn't really necessary, especially if you are using additive to prevent fuel gelling in cold weather.

The other thing you could look at is what else might be on the same fuse circuit. You mentioned an electric fuel pump: is that wired into the same circuit that popped the fuse?

Glad you got it going, hopefully you'll figure out why your fuse popped so it doesn't strand you again.

Dawsonw

Reaction score
I thought the fuel heater was on a different fuse?? i thought #11 was for the glow plug relay and fed the fss and cruise control and oil temp and cold idle solenoid. I put another fuse in and it popped it as soon as i hit the throttle so i rigged up a smaller fuse to work for right now and unplugged the cold idle solenoid and it hasnt popped yet. i put a jumper wire in place of the fuse and there was a little smoke around the injection pump and the temp gauge sensor. I checked all of the wires around the smoke ans no wires were damaged so i have no clue whats causing it to pop.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Automatic? I don't know if the tps could pop that fuse.
But look around the pump. May be a bare spot on a wire, shorting when you move the throttle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dawsonw

Reaction score
It all seemed to be in a pretty durable wire harness but I’ll have to do some more digging later on today. I’ll keep ya updated