Truck got loud and fast? for a moment

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning as I was driving in to work I was making my first small acceleration into traffic. I had let the truck warm up for a couple minutes before leaving and driven maybe 200 yards before turning right and merging into traffic. As I am accelerating, not too hard, all of a sudden like the truck just took off and got real loud in the process. I mean like combustion loud. Sounded like the timing was too advanced. And man it was sooo much faster. I immediately let off the throttle and it stopped and went back to it's regular, smoother but slower behavior. I didn't get a look at the EGT's when this happened. Oops. Forgot. And no I don't have a turbo.

I eased back into the throttle thinking perhaps it would do it again but it didn't and I drove it 25 more miles in to work without any unusual behavior again.

I am thinking the advance curve in the IP did something funny for a moment. Any one have any ideas?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
We have had this happen numerous times. In our situation it was the fuel was running out, or the filter was plugged and caused it give a little jolt.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too!

Yep- It's happened to me, also on my '93 NA IDI CC. Took off like a bullet for about 2 seconds and was real loud and rattly, then drove just fine. A little scary, but thankfully the truck weighs 9300 lbs as equipped and felt and sounded a lot faster than it really was. Also, the few times I've run out of gas, it will do the same thing for a second; mostly the loud rattling and a little less of the accelerating. Maybe a puff of air in the lines may have something to do with it??

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have plenty of fuel in the tanks. Must be time to change filters. Good thing I keep one in the truck. It's really too bad it's not that fast all the time. I was shocked.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One good thing about going home for the holidays is that I can go to International and get my fuel line parts. They know me ther now and are very helpful with my rinky-**** needs. It looks like my o-ring bandaid must be failing. I also need the o-ring for the fuel heater. It's weeping fuel.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I think you got a 7.3l If you do get a fram ps6643 fuel filter there cheaper, all you gotta do is tilt the fuel filter thingy to one side and install it, its got the water seperator built in.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to also check your lift pump. The same thing was happening to mine on occassion. I was having hard starting issues in addition to bad batterys. One day it would not start seemed like a fuel problem and took the filter off only to find it half full. I then looked at the lift pump and the hole on the side was wet. I guess 160,000 miles was not to bad as it was the original pump.

RedTruck

Reaction score
If you get air in your lines that sound is what the experts call volatile diesel knock. That's the sound you hear.

I've also heard of a similar sound happening when there's a problem with your cold idle advance. So, if your fuel related troubleshooting does not solve the problem, maybe you can point your efforts to the cold advance wiring.

Good luck,

Paul

RedTruck

Reaction score
Dirtleg,

Did you ever see this again, or did filters and o-rings solve it?

Thanks,

Paul

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Air, most likely bc of lack of fuel by a filter or something else in the fuel lines.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a plugged fuel-filter causes it to happen, then you have an air-leak somewhere between the filter and injector-pump.

In a good leak-free system, a clogged filter will cause the engine to simply weaken and die, with no "running out of fuel" surge.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing yesterday! Plenty of fuel in the tanks too. It wouldn't make any abnormal noise at idle, but the minute I gave it any throttle, it whole motor "rattled" and was louder. I got more black smoke out of the tailpipe than normal and it lasted for about a mile. I lost power though, and once I got home I shut it off and called Towcat. After about a minute I fired it back up, and it wouldn't make the sound anymore:dunno. It hasn't done it since.