Truck falling on face and Not great on power

cat3176

Reaction score
Ok so I serviced the truck tonight. I use 15-40 rotella. I changed both fuel filters tuesday night. Now it acts like it is seaching for power unless you really hang your leg in it. I also noticed it pushed some coolant out the coolant reservoir cap. Do I have serious issues or what do I do? In an earlier post it had been surging took it to ford and they only found was cylinder #3 was 10% lower on compression than the others. So Im at a loss on what to do. I have been driving the truck for 3 weeks and the surging thing going on for a week and now this....:mad: I was in the process of buying the truck from my father in law but I dont want to give him a decision on wether Im taking the truck or he is going to sell it. So Im on a budget and dont quite know if Im looking at big repairs early or just little things. So any help would be great. Thanks

cat3176

Reaction score
sorry guys for my delay on getting back to you. 79jasper i never found anybody with fuel presure gauges so nice dice on checking presures yet. I did notice every so often it puffs a little white and blue smoke. and 94iditurbo73 the coolant was to the low mark. I thankyou both for replying back. How do I check if the egr valve is sticking open?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can rent the fuel pressure tester from parts stores. And they give your money back when you return it. I think you may need something like the auto enginuity to see if it's sticking. I think it may be cleanable though.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I serviced the truck tonight. I use 15-40 rotella. I changed both fuel filters tuesday night. Now it acts like it is seaching for power unless you really hang your leg in it. I also noticed it pushed some coolant out the coolant reservoir cap. Do I have serious issues or what do I do? In an earlier post it had been surging took it to ford and they only found was cylinder #3 was 10% lower on compression than the others. So Im at a loss on what to do. I have been driving the truck for 3 weeks and the surging thing going on for a week and now this....:mad: I was in the process of buying the truck from my father in law but I dont want to give him a decision on wether Im taking the truck or he is going to sell it. So Im on a budget and dont quite know if Im looking at big repairs early or just little things. So any help would be great. Thanks
If the engine showed low on a relative compression test on the IDS a manual compression test needs to be done. If the truck was driven very long on a leaking egr cooler chances are thereis a bent rod in the engine. I've been there done that...
Not to discourage diy ers but it is really hard to diagnose a six liter properly without an IDS (ford scan tool).

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i HATE IDS with a passion!

you can pull the EGR valve out and if it is all "gummed" up then clean it up(sorry not sure the best cleaner) and put it back in and see what happens.

cat3176

Reaction score
Well I actually made some progress and found that #3 cylinder had no compression so..... I had an offer on the truck and sold it to a good friend that owns a shop that said he was going to completely overhaul it. So Im out of the 6.0game now but I really appreciate all your guys help and wisdom on these engines. Im sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone