Truck cranks runs fine till warms up then

Ray-F250

Reaction score
my 94 7.3 runs fine cold then it dies like it’s not getting fuel it’ll run ruff and loose power after around 20 miles any thoughts

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 what drcharles said kinda sounds like with the heat your IP gets heat soaked and won't push the fuel needed

Ray-F250

Reaction score
It does turn over a few times before it cranks when it’s warm but will crank it is kinda sluggish trying to crank it

Ray-F250

Reaction score
The truck is a turbo as well I was wondering if some how it is getting air in the lines. What would be a good way to determine if it is the ip

Ray-F250

Reaction score
Yeah it has no problems cranking. It only has problems after it has been running for about 20 minutes or so then it wants to cut off when I let off the throttle pull over on the side of the road and it cranks back up it does take it a little longer to crank when this occurs though

Ray-F250

Reaction score
I have already changed fuel filter and dropped the tank to ensure that there is no blockage on screen

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it has no problems cranking. It only has problems after it has been running for about 20 minutes or so then it wants to cut off when I let off the throttle pull over on the side of the road and it cranks back up it does take it a little longer to crank when this occurs though

Sounds like an internal injection pump issue. As noted earlier a worn out one will act up when its hot.

A leak in the fuel line allowing the pump to suck air would probably happen regardless if it is cold or hot. Before condemning the pump, you should check the fuel pressure at the filter head to make sure the lift pump is doing its job. To my knowledge when they wear out, they are not known for being worse when hot like the IP. But it won't cost you very much to buy/borrow/rent a gauge to test the pressure. Also would have saved you from dropping the tank.

If you have to buy a new IP I recommend getting a rebuilt one from a shop that specializes in IDI's. Search here for vendors. I am in the middle of doing this job for the 2nd time because I cheaped out on a rebuilt IP from pensacola.

Ray-F250

Reaction score
Ok thanks what pressure reading should I get when I check the lift pump

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw 1L of transmission fluid in the tank. Better yet, fill the fuel filter with ATF, start if up and let it run for a minute before letting it sit overnight. Then take if for a 1-2 hour drive the next day.

Stalling when the throttle is let off usually is the governor or metering pump sticking inside the injection pump. ATF can sometimes clean this out but you may still be in for a new pump eventually. In my case, I still got a few years out if it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a textbook hot-start IP issue and it never had anything to do with the engine running. I really doubt a running IP getting proper fuel flow would die on itself.

First I would check fuel pressure while running, the IP *will* pull it's own fuel but that's not a good way to make it around town.
Also, make sure your idle RPM is high enough. These are mechanically injected engines, its possible for the idle to be so low the engine won't run when hot, though I haven't heard of it yet.

As @david85 said a sticking metering valve is a semi-common issue with pumps that have sat for a long time. The ATF/Diesel Kleen treatment in the fuel filter works very well in this case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online