truck broke down.. need help

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck died last night idling at the stoplight, sputter then nothing. i need help here, the guys on dmax forum aint helping, and i even resorted to powerstroke.org. well heres the story, the truck has had a bad seding unit for a few months now, reading a low fuel light and the fuel gauge on E. i know i needed fuel, so i went to start it outside my buds house, and it wouldnt start on the first crank, and thats odd it usually fires right up. fired it up drove about a half mile then it died at the light. no sputtering while driving, just sputtered for about 1/2 a sec at the light and cut out.figured i ran out of fuel, primed it through the filter and i had fuel. tried to start it.. nothing. cranks over but wont fire, kind of like when a crank sensor is bad. the CEL wasnt on while i was driving, but its on now when i turn the key. it threw a code and my buddys scanner couldnt decode it, you need gm software i guess, but it could be a prior code. all im asking is can the sending unit go completely bad? or can my FICM go bad? my CP3 and injectors are 10k miles old, right when i bought the truck they were already done with about 500 miles on em. i need help here, by someone whos a little more knowledgeable about these lb7s than me, its a BONE STOCK lb7 engine. i need this truck on the road as quick as possible, and im gonna change the sending unit, the fuel filter and get batteries (it needs it anyway) while im at it. please, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance you guys here have always been pretty helpful

weldersd

Reaction score
these trucks are a pain to start after you run them out of fuel, put some fuel in, get a friend to help with jumper cables (you'll probably kill your batteries) and prime the bulb, for a LONG time, until no bubbles show, it will even then take some cranking.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it had fuel the entire time, it never ran out. im thinkin my fuel filter is clogged.

01 lb7

Reaction score
the fuel filters chevy designed are not a very good design so i wouldn't doubt the filter being clogged, the sending unit has absolutly nothing to do with the truck getting fuel, all it is, is a gauge. the next thing to check is make sure there is no air leaks in the system, the fuel filter heads are bad about the seals leaking and causing air to get in the system and cause the truck to lose prime, and when you prime it, when you get soild fuel at the bleeder, put the screw back in and prime it until the bulb gets stiff to ensure that the fuel pump is got fuel to it, i've never had to jump one of these trucks because of priming, don't continuously try to turn it over until you get the results above and it wont have a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online