Transmission Acting up when it's Cold

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys am trying to pick your brain here. About 3 month ago we took a long trip about 500 miles each way no trouble doing 70mph +/- at one point traffic slowed down and picked up again then the truck acted up like it wasn't sure what gear to shift so lifted off the throttle and back on it , it all was fine until recently i noticed the issue. This truck not my daily and sets for 1-1.5 week at a time. Soon it will be my daughter daily driver. Once i start the Truck and the fast idle cuts out as i am ready to drive , it stuck in 1st gear for so long and some time it wont shift to 2nd until i pull over place it in park and carry own, some times in stuck on 2nd and wont go to 3rd then i shift to #2 lower gear and back to D then it shift fine after about 5 minute of continues driving.

So i thought the TPS( FIPL) It sure was high and registered 1.8 to 6.4 WOT , i adjusted multiple times and it went back to funky ready so i bought new OEM from Rock auto and set it to 1.0 and WOT read 3.6 , bottom wire read about 5.01 V so i thought that fixed it . But yesterday it did it again not only stuck on 2nd but when it shifted to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th it decided to let go of gear momentarily then it engaged. However i drove the truck longer yesterday and it did not duplicate again

Thanks was done to the Truck :

1-29k miles ago i completely overhauled the Tranny and did not skip or spared expenses on parts if it needed it .

2- It had relatively brand New TC that the Original owner installed at the time when they replaced the tranny, Shortly the Truck sat. When we started it after 8 years noticed the front pump seal leaked. i overhauled the Tranny after i took it down to replace the Front pump seal/bushing at the time and verified the TC is solid.

3- it has complete Transgo Shift Kit .

4- Brand New RD2-80 IP

5- New Injectors

6-6.0 Over sized Trans cooler

7- Truck came with Banks Trans command, i have not messed with the wires yet but i recall it had acted up on us at the time we removed the Tranny and re install it and did not want to shift to 2nd, then i wiggled the wires and it was all good for almost 2.5 years.

8- Tranny fluid is at proper level, looks as new as the day i installed it

9- all lines been replaced to the tranny

10 - NO OD light except when the TPS was accidentally out of range and that cleared immediately after the correct Voltage was set.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something in the valve body might be sticking.
I would go buy a couple bottles of Trans X (blue bottle) and see if that helps. Did for me when I had that POS 4L60E in a previous truck that I no longer own. I had the same symptoms your having.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly i personally hate to add any additive to any machine component to mask an issue as all what it does is temp repair & hide the issue, However i was given a bottle of some sort of a Transmission additive that all the transmission shops swear buy it , I cant remember its name at the moment but i will post its name when i get home.

I don't see how would the valve body could be sticking thought to cause this symptoms. I am leaning towards the solenoid pack , its electronic function, its connection if you ask me but am not sure yet and even that will trip a OD light.

Worse come to worse i can pull the sucker and go thru it one more time but not to put it back rather as a good known part to sell and stick a 5 spd Zf there.

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the Transmission Range Sensor when the tranny was rebuilt?

It worked like a clock since i rebuilt the Transmission about 2 years ago close to 22k miles ago , even prior overhauling it worked super well. But its worth taking a look for sure. I am waiting for my code reader , maybe there is a code stored for the MLPS if this TCM beast programed with that function

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The product / Additive that was handed to me to try which still setting on the shelf looking pretty , Is called Lube Guard High friction Modifier With LXE !, AVEC LEX !, CON LXE, Supposedly its recommended by a lot of Auto manufactured ,

Warning in the back stating not to use with FORD Type F transmission fluid :rolleyes:

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

Type F has no friction modifiers in it. Adding Lube Guard to a tranny specifying Type F, will smoke it.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to drive the truck during lunch after I warmed it for long time . It drove without a hitch

Then 4 hours latter as am heading home, it stuck on 1st and won’t go to 2nd .I stopped moved selector to N then back to D,drove home without a problem

My son told me that when he drove it yesterday to the hardware store it let loose on 4th and eng ReV Perry hight so he pulled over , placed it in P then back on the road with no trouble the rest of the Day.

Now I am leaning more towards your early sugession with the range sensor

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect! THX!!!

Just making sure it is clear for dummies like myself. My original searches came up with a page full of cruise control switches on the steering wheel.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect! THX!!!

Just making sure it is clear for dummies like myself. My original searches came up with a page full of cruise control switches on the steering wheel.

are you experiencing the same issue like the one i have

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bingo.;Sweet

This Ford version lasts.Unlike the aftermarket ones.I'll only use Motorcraft sensors now,after poor results from aftermarket.
Also,this is the updated version and unlike the aftermarket,it comes with full instructions on how to re-pin for the update.
If your clip simply connects to this updated sensor,then this means someone has already re-pinned/updated your harness for you.The instructions and the extra parts are not needed if this is the case.Simply install the switch as follows:

1.Safety first! Chock the wheels.
2.Unhook the shift linkage.(just pry it off)
3.Disconnect the harness.
4.loosen the large center nut while in P position (this will help ensure you don't break the detent spring inside the trans)
5.Shift the trans into N position.
6.Unbolt the sensor and toss it.
7.While still in N position,line up the two lines on the sensor and install everything in reverse order.

full

The Range Senor is formerly called the MLPS (Manual lever Position Sensor) and it is and has always also been the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch.) This sensor is located under NSS at most part stores.

Failure symptoms of failing Range sensor:
Fails to start in P and or N positions,even after shift cable adjustments.
Drop out of gear while in the D position (trans actually reverts to 1 but due to speed,it will feel like N while driving) often followed by harsh/semi and or full re-engagement.
TIP: When a range sensor fails while driving and appears to go to N.It's best to quickly,manually shift trans to N,pull over and roll to stop before placing into D again.Then either,tow or simply drive slow home in manual 2 or in D with hand on sifter,ready to shift to N to avoid harsh re-engagement.Replace sensor as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.