Transfer Case Position indication.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've read my Saga (4 posts) concerning broken wires and transfer case. With everything back together I still don't have any 4WD indication at the switch. Thought maybe the I blew the GEM, I might have put the truck in 4WD LO while the rear wheels were spinning, reading my truck owner's manual, that's a NO NO. I put the shifting motor mechanism back on the TC in the position just as it came off with the quadrant gear all the way to one side. Looking at the pic of the quadrant gear, the indicating contacts are positioned by it, that's the small black module sitting on it. There should only be three points (contacts) of position, 2WD, 4WD Hi, and 4WD LO.

Going to take the shift motor back off again. Taking the postioning indicator (Encoder) and turning it until it would show in the cab that it is in fact in 2WD (with the key on), then turning the quadrant gear to match the tang on the Encoder, then turning the TC so the TC hole will match the drive tang on the quadrant gear. I have an idea that the quadrant gear should be in mid position for 2WD.

Any ideas are welcomed. This is going to take a lot of work, will have to put all four wheels up on jack stands.

This TC is made by Progress (Process) Specialty Gear. Can't find out any info on it, other than Progress bought out Process Specialty Gear. Anyone have any info, sure would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0703.JPG
    DSCN0703.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0710.JPG
    DSCN0710.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0701.JPG
    DSCN0701.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Try New Venture Gear. They were Fords transfer case builder both electric shift and manual.

Just the indicators are out? There are about 30+ pages to test that E shift crap. :eek:

I love my manual T Case, works every time. Ok, I'm going to hide before you throw that big wrench at me.LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK,so I spent another 4 hrs on it. Pulled the shift motor, took the Encoder off it, turned the key on, turned the Encoder and it will register the 4X4 light on the Instr. panel, still no indication on the switch panel. The Encoder only rotates a 1/4 turn, handling it I wiped my mark off, can't center punch hardened, should have used my Dremel and ground a mark, now I'm having a hell of a time getting it in position so the TC tang goes in, there is no way to turn the tang a little, it's in a detent and snaps right back in. That little shift motor shifts that quadrant the full 1/4 turn in less than a second.

Attachments

• DSCN0746.JPG
    DSCN0746.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What model tcase is this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have no idea. There's a tag on it saying it's made by Process Specialty Gears. I ran across someplace that said they where bought out and it's named Progress Process Specialty Gears.

Trackspeeder mentioned in an above post about New Venture, ran into that also and they refer to PPSG also.

I'm not having any trouble with the TC itself, it's the controls, I think the GEM is shot, but still troublshooting that.

Gonna pull the GEM tomorrow.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was gonna lookup the pinpoint test. The shop manual link I have isn't working either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the indicators are out? There are about 30+ pages to test that E shift crap.

Yeah, just the indicators. I've got about three sheets of info, but not much use. You got a link or something for all that info.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I just want to check something...... on my 03 6.0 4x4 (I understand this is a 99 7.3)...... but....

On my truck, the only indications I get is the 4x4 and Low Range lights on the instrument cluster, on the left hand side by the WTS light....... the ESOF Switch only has the 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Low that has a backlight from the instrument lights. I get no indication of on the selector switch on the dash other than where the line is pointing to the name on the switch location. Actually, the light on the switch has been burned out for quite awhile. Maybe the earlier trucks, this was different........ just wanting to make sure you aren't chasing something that is not a problem....... I don't think my truck has a GEM either, so that may be part of the difference.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I also dont think there is an indicator light at the switch, I know my work trucks 07 doesnt have one my 03 didnt either
cant remember on my 99, that was the only one I ever had with a esof.

I don know going into 4 low is a pia with the esof, has to be in nuetral, then may have to roll a little,

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definetly a light bulb in the ESOF selector switch. Checked bulb out it's good. There is also a 4x4 indication in the cluster right below the WTS indication. I can turn that on by rotating the Encoder.
There is six wires going into the TC shift motor Encoder, only two wires to the motor, just reverses the polarity for direction. The shift motor has to be dead on position for the TC tang to enter the hole.There is no room to twist the motor gear box. It turns so fast, just a flick of power to it and the hole rotates a 1/4 inch. With a little bolt up torque on it, gonna try and rotate it with a battery and maybe it'll snap in.

I guess the next thing is to pull the GEM module. As IDIiot found out, it's mounted on the in cab fuse panel. That's gonna be fun.:rolleyes: I know, disconnect batteries for sure.

It could be that the DTPS is bad, I can't start the engine with the key switch. Put a direct power push button to the start relay

The TC case looks just like the NVG273 in jasper's link. You can see how tight the TC motor is. I't not listed in the chart, mines a 4 speed with a 4R100. Must have a ******* TC. It has the New Process Gear tag on it.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. No real success on anything. Bought a new DTRS ( Digital Transmission Range Sensor), installed it and still no start in Park or Neutral with it. Re-installed the old one and found the Neutral line did not line up, was about a 1/32" off, fixed that by filing out where the bolts go thru. Checked and made sure the shift lever goes into each detent.

Got the TC shift motor module to line up and fall into the TC tang. Battery charger, couple of wires and a little 12V power and it snapped right in. All bolted up now. I'm fully satisfied everything underneath is good.

No time left before dark to pull the Gem module out. Tomorrows another day.

trackspeeder;
Unfortunately no link, just a very large manual and no scanner for it to flatten out.

Kinda figured that was the case.