Trans and engine swap help

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was sent here from another forum. Was told might find more helo here. I hope thats true.
I guese ill start with the basics of my swap.

Truck: 2005 f350sd. 5.4 trition. 4x4. Xl. 6spd. Crew cab shorty.

I love it. Except for the useless 5.4. I cant afford nor do i want a ps. Although they are good rigs. I had a zf6 before and loved it.

So i am doing a weird swap..... 5.4 to 7.3idi. With a zf6.

Not easy. But i love the idi. The noise. Smell. How reliable and easy to work on they are.

Putting the motor in the truck is easy. My problem lies with the trans. As mine is gas it wont just bolt to an idi.

I can try to trade my trans and t-case for one from a diesel but that takes time.

So is there a way to adapt my zf6 to fit the idi? If not then what about transfering my guts to a diesel zf6 main case? My trans is low miles. And im a broke college student.

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that the top bolt on a idi and ny trans wont line up. But what about the others?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not super familiar with zf6s but I do not think the gas zf6 will fit behind the idi, I know even the zf6 behind the psd has to be drilled out to match the idi mounting.

Realistically the zf6 has no benefit over the zf5 other than the extra granny gear, not an extra overdrive as most think. You would be better of with a diesel zf5 behind the idi for simplify imo

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the granny alot off road as i work at a tow yard and often need it to pull stuck cars

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just put the tcase in low range. Lol
If someone had 3.55 or higher, along with taller tires, I could see the the extra Low gear being beneficial.
You know you have to run a trans cooler right?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also. I run a pto. And i want my factory gauges to work. Speedo and tach run of the trans according to ford. Im gonna run a 3g alt and just change the plug. So that gauge will work.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several bolt pattern ZF5/ZF6's - "diesel", "big block"(460-etc) and "small block". The "big block" pattern can be converted to a "diesel" by drilling the casting, and vice-versa, the small block is completely different and you need a diesel or big block front case.

Does anyone know if the ZF5 front case is the same as the ZF6? I know where I can pick up a cheap ZF5(probably a s5-42) front case, if it'll fit.

edit:
Oh, and I'll second just putting a s5-42 in it. They are much more common, you can probably sell the ZF6 for quite a bit of money as they are so rare.
I use my trucks a /ton/, hauling loads more than I ever should, and I'd recommend a ZF-5 with a GV Overdrive and 4.10s - You get good towing gears, can split second for 2nd over for hill climbing, and the double OD gives a nice 60+MPH gear. And, despite what they say, as long as you crank the HP up on a (turbo) IDI, yes you can tow in double OD at 75.

Low speed? That's what 4x4 low range is for(or 2x4 low range if you leave the hubs unlocked). It'll give you as much torque as you need easily enough... but it's pretty rare that I've ever needed the torque - 1st in my (close range) S5-42 is plenty; I'll spin the rear tires before bogging the engine down.

Also, speedo? I'd expect it should run off the ABS/rear axle sensors on anything newer than like 92.

Last edited:

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to months ago i pulled a 250 like mine. But a long bed 7.3 out of the woods. Guy drove off the side of a hill.

Edit: appears u are right. My speed sensor is axle mounted. But what about my tach?

Glsawyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is required to swap to a zf5?

I work at a jy. I can chose between to zf5 trans. Both are around 91. With tcases

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tach doesn't have much to do with the trans. That's driven off the sensor on the IP gear tower.

Fasr as the front case halves, Midwest transmission shows different part numbers between zf5 and zf6.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the SuperDuty trucks, all the gauges in the instrument cluster and run by the PCM. The PCM reads a sensor, intreprets the data, and commands the position of the stepper motor to move the needle.

There is a member here that has swapped an IDI and E4OD into a SuperDuty...... there is a build thread on here.....

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get the ZF 5s for a couple hundred..... Buy them both.
Use whichever seems better and sell the second on Craigslist, or post in the Marketplace here. Seems like everyone wants to ZF-swap their trucks.

I know that I grab every ZF5, IDI turbo, IDI etc. that I can get my hands on cheap, so I have spares and parts to sell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online