Tranny problem/question 01 ram 3500 dually automatic

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope someone can help with some ideas: My 01 5.9 Cummins auto takes a while, approx 15 seconds to start moving when I first start it and put it in Drive. After that it behaves normally, no slipping or funny gear changes. Before I drop the tranny and do a rebuild, I was wondering if this is an easy fix that can be done without the rebuild? The truck has about 200K miles, probably original tranny in it, not sure as I bought it 3 years ago.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Dan

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
try putting it in neutral for a few seconds and let the pump build up a little bit before shifting into drive or reverse. our 01 and 08 both do the same thing. dont know what the problem is but that works for us.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Could be fluid draining from the converter. It has to fill back up to move properly. Just have to wait till you try to move vehicle.

Last edited:

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks Big Red,
I since visited a Mister Transmission and talked to a very helpful manager. He suggested the first thing to look for is low fluid level. Also, apparently way back Dodge came out with a tech bulletin to add a check valve in one of the lines, to help with the drainback issue. Subsequently, it was found that check ball valve was getting stuck causing more problems and burning up transmissions or something like that, so it was recommended to remove them to those who had installed them.
So anyway, it seems that this is a normal situation with these trucks, and I'm not going to fret over it any more. It takes about 10 seconds or so to start moving forward.
cheers,
dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online