Tranny Life

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Hey what kinda life would one expect to get out of the Allison Tranny with ..lets say an Edge Juice box , a little towing and driving it like its a race car???

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can of worms

I have 25,000 miles of experience with the juice and the allison....

I do a lot of hard starts.... Lots of long towing around 8,000 to 10,000 pounds..... I like to drive around in level 3 (75HP)... I stay away from the 125 hp setting but have occasionally used it... Never limped.... The inside of my tranny may say different, but I cannot notice a difference in my tranny from new.....

With that being said.... Drag racing this thing day in day out without a transgo kit or more... would be pretty ******* it... Allison or not, its still a transmition and would probably grenade in a relativly short time on the higher settings....

Like most equipment, it will last a long time not being used at its max performance all the time... Drag racing would be putting that tranny to the max all the time... I don't think you could narrow it down to how long it would last...... Cause each one would be different depending on type of fluid, fluid level, and temps the tranny reached...

Im sure you know all this WO, but it was my PC answer, instead of saying "not very long".... But longer than the Torque shift at the same levels...:eek:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Re: Can of worms

Originally posted by ISurvivedNMU
"not very long".... But longer than the Torque shift at the same levels...:eek:

Your just not willing to let that go are you:D

I was just curious...:D

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isurvived,

What level of low boost fuel and defuel do you use?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My attitude is set on Level 5 for low boost fuel... (Most responsive) and I let it defuel between locked *****......

I do not have a tranny kit, and do not feel that I need one... You never know... But I try to have fun with it, but not get crazy... Dont get me wrong... i smokke fords all day on the street...LOL.... but I do not go to the track...

WO.. your right... I love it......

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked about the locks and defuel because that will effect the longevity in the long run.

It sounds like EDGE has found a major loop hole in tranny life by allowing user selected defuel.
My next question would be, what does a defueled shift feel like? I have herd it described as a double shift. Isurvived how would you describe a defuled shift?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only easy way for me to desribe them is it feels like the power is turned off while it shifts then turned back on when its done shifting....

I think edge put that feature in there for the guys hitting the track with beefed up tranny's..... The defueling could cause some seconds to be lost....

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure what all defuel options there is? I understand you can either select just the 4-5 shift or all shifts but I do not know of any other options.