tranfercase lube

gwhammy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does dodge use in tranfer case and what is everyone else using in their tranfer cases? How often are you changing tranfer case oil?

BreaksEverything

TROUBLE INC.
Reaction score
well you could try K-Y brand lube
they now have it in 5 flavors

ATF, 5-30, 10-30 something light - not gear oil
I think Dodge used ATF

it wouldn't hurt to change it when you do a
trans service every 10-12k mi it doesn't
hold much 3 qts or something

B

Big K

Amsoil Universal ATF is the fluid of choice 'round my place.

Simplest thing to service. Takes 3/8 (I believe) allen head male socket for both fill and drain plugs. 3+ qt. A fluid pump is handy to have, if even just a simple plastic one from the local parts store.

This does NOT apply to earlier models equipped with the NP-205 T/C. That unit uses gear lube. I think, but don't quote me, that the 205's were used only in Gen1 trucks.

Whit

Reaction score
Yes it is ATF, I changed my oil at 30k with Amsoil universal ATF, had a hell of a time with the upper plug..had to weld a nut onto the plug so I could use a wrench on it, comes right out now.

Cheers, Kevin

Richard Davis

Reaction score
Tranny/Trans Case Lube

I too am an AMZOIL Dealer, for my own use only, and when it came time to change the fluid in my 2001 Dually w/6 speed, I contacted AMZOIL's tech department and they told me to use 05W-30 engine oil in the tranny and ATF in the transfer case!

I followed their instructions and then took off for my vacation to Alaska. By the time I got to Anchorage I could barely get the trans into first gear...I had to put in into 3d gear, to stop the gears from turning, then quickly pull it into first gear! Shifting was a little rough too, especially from first to second.

I had the Dodge dealer in Anchorage change out the Amzoil and put in the Dodge factory lube, which the technician referred to as "like mineral oil".

The tranny began to shift better but it is STILL hard to get into 1st gear while standing still with the clutch disengaged.

Has anyone else had this problem with their 6 speed? Have you found a cure?

MUDDY

Reaction score
hey ****,

my 02 was real hard to get in 1st. 03 just a litl hard. i stuck with factory lube. von tried redline in his 01 and swore it helped. others tried redline and said it made no difference. also floks not gettin bttr results w/ amsoil i hear. hard shiftin into 1st just somethin ya gotta put up with to get the extra strength i guess

i swwitched to amsoil atf in my t-cases

Last edited:

MMeier

Reaction score
I'm running Amsoil ATF in my x-case , Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in my 6'er and Lubrication Engineers LE 607 in my diffs!!