Trading for a 12 valve

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When a 12v comes in that I don’t know the history on, there are a few things I reccomended. Obviously you’re already doing some of this. I’m just listing this for someone that finds this thread and isn’t already doing the work.

Kdp
Verify and set timing
Valve lash
AFC and plate adjustment
New overflow valve
Check fuel pressure
Check crankcase breather for restriction

Trans-
TV cable adjustment
Band adjustment
Check line pressures

Since you’re pulling the head
While the head is off, have it vatted and mag’d.
Deck the head
Check the deck on the block
Bottom tap the the head bolt holes
Use a Cummins headgasket-please
O-rings optional

Where is the crank breather at? Fuel plate is a #0 from what the previous owner said.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the dp troubling you? Crank case breather is either on the front cover or the tappet cover.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the breather hasn’t been modified or moved, then it’s built into the tappet cover on the drivers side of the block rearward of the injection pump.

Newer trucks have the breather in front of the injection pump gear on the front cover.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the breather hasn’t been modified or moved, then it’s built into the tappet cover on the drivers side of the block rearward of the injection pump.

Newer trucks have the breather in front of the injection pump gear on the front cover.

Okay thank you I'll look at it today

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get it to get straight on the turbo housing to get the clamp on it it's either the bottom is on and the top isn't or the top is on and the bottom isnt.

If it’s an aftermarket exhaust, it’s possible the exhaust wasn’t aligned well when installed.

First thing I would do is use a floor jack under the truck on the exhaust after the downpipe. Try to use the jack to take the weight off of the exhaust to help align the downpipe.

Next would be to disconnect the downpipe from the rest of the exhaust.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the floor jack idea and got it all together I had a question on the climate controls it will do the defrost but wont switch to vents and I looked for vacuum line leaks and havent found any at the moment

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you getting vacuum into the cab? the line coming out from the heater core was a little crusty on mine. i also found a sticky vent door on mine. it was the one near the fuel peddle kinda to the right of it.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you getting vacuum into the cab? the line coming out from the heater core was a little crusty on mine. i also found a sticky vent door on mine. it was the one near the fuel peddle kinda to the right of it.

I'll have to check today and see what I can come up with. I just know it wont switch to a/c or anything just the defrost and some on the floor but not much.

Ayla

Reaction score
I have a guy wanting to trade me a 1995 12 valve single cab automatic for my 1990 f250 7.3 idi extended cab. My truck has a 162,000 the cummins has 197,000 on it he says it it has a hx35 turbo bigger injectors number zero fuel plate. He says it had a built trans put in. Do you think it's a fair trade?

I'd trade up in a ♡ beat!! The cummins is a way better engine! the extended cab is more roomy for taking things and friends/family with you. so you will lose that. But I have 2 cummins single cab and 2 cummins extended/quad cab. All are long beds, 8ft. the extended cab long bed is harder to turn around as the truck is 2+ feet longer. I use my standard cab for tearing **** up crawling around what ever. All my trucks are 4X4's. Good luck! Hope you find what makes you happy!