1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traded my IDI for powerstroke

Discussion in '7.3L Powerstroke Diesels' started by slyhog022056, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:40 PM.

1. slyhog022056

slyhog022056 Full Access Member

I traded my 91 F350 dually 7.3 IDI for a 97 F250 power stroke 7.3 power stroke. New to turbocharged diesels and would appreciate any input as to pros and cons of this truck. The only questions I have so far is the clutch pedal has to move down 3+ inches before it begins to engage and has to go completely to the floor to keep from engaging the clutch then it only has to come up about an inch to fully engage, normal or am i in for a clutch replacement?? I know for a fact that there is no air in the system because i pulled a vacuum on the system then gravity bled it out after that.
    2nd, is 2500 rpm at 70 mph normal for the 5 speed manual?? seems like i need another gear, my IDI (e4OD) locked in high gear only ran 2100 rpm at 70 mph

2. Fordman1920032003

Fordman1920032003 Registered User

Check the bushings on the clutch pedal and arm under the dash.

3. slyhog022056

Already did that, they are new, is that rod adjustable? I crawled underneath and i can easily move the slave cylinder towards the clutch fork about 1/2 inch, wonder if tge arm is bent. When i move the cylinder and let go it returns putting light pressure on tge arm which i know means the throwout bearing rides the pressure pkate all the time. Maybe tgats normal for hydraulic clutchs. I am used to old school linkages.

4. Randy Bush

Randy Bush Full Access Member

Do you know what gear ratio your rear end is? My 93 dually with 4.10 and ZF5 runs right about there. On the clutch check how much slack your have before the pedal makes contact with cyl and deal with that .

5. slyhog022056

The pedal pad moves down about 1 inche before making contact them another 2 or so before it actually feels like its pushing the fork and pressure plate i think all the slack is on the slave cylinder end i need another person to push the pedal so i watch from underneath.

6. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

remove slave cylinder and measure the distance to the fork. Chances are it's bent if it was never replaced with the updated part.

sounds like you have 4.10 gearing, the axle code of the door jam sticker would confirm.

7. u2slow

u2slow Plan B

As already mentioned, sounds like a 4.10 truck. My clutch linkage (95 F350) was so far gone no bushing kit was going to fix it. I replaced the nub with a 1/2" bolt.

My powerstroke experience is why I began cummins therapy. :sly

8. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

cummins...great engine unfortunately wrapped in a dodge

9. slyhog022056

ok, measure fork end to face of bellhousing, 1.75 inches, removed fork and saw where the fork had been bent by the bulge in the sides of it, bent it back in a press about 1/2 of and inch on the small end and tried it. too much, went back 1/8 inch and that put the fork end about 3/8 of an inch from total collapse of the slave cylinder. that put the pedal total release about 1 inch off of the floorboard. will try that for a while and see how it does. still feels like it is going too far before beginning to release. but at least i don't have to go clear to the floor with it. have to get another cap for the master cylinder and try to vacuum it down again to get rid of all the air in the system.

10. slyhog022056

fork 1.jpg fork 2.jpg fork 3.jpg fork 4.jpg

11. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

7.3 powerstroke runs best on quality diesel oil and filters and doesn't like dirty stuff. I've done oil changes on high intervals on customers trucks and its like doing a tuneup on a gas engine.
    old 7.3 idis will run on any oil product you have handy and will keep goign until they lock up.

you got 4.10s