Toyota diesel

Discussion in 'Rumor mill' started by ELMO, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ELMO

ELMO Registered User

i just found out that toyota plans to release 3 new truck with in the next four years. a 3/4 ton, 1 ton and a dually, all with a diesel. They're not saying much about the size of the engine. the 2006 model tundra will be close to the size of the chevy silverado, let you know more as i find out

2. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Señor Member

Toy has a ready market to buy them too.

3. lschultz

lschultz Registered User

Cistern,Tx-2.3 miles outs of ofs highway in Fayett
    It should be a good one cause they are up on there quality. Only Toyota I have had so far was back in 81 was one of them 4x4 pickups.

4. bikepilot

bikepilot Turbo IDI

I'll be in line for one I expect:)

My little toyota pickup was the best vehicle I ever owned in terms of reliability and the way it drove.

5. Exekiel69

Exekiel69 Registered User

Pics? :backoff

6. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

I got more "genuine" toyota diesels than I wanted to deal with in China last year when I made the mistake of telling my cousin that I was bored and I wanted something to do. Wife was pissed, I again was out wrenching until 3am :D. Toyota took the inline 6 and ran with it hard for years now. But I seriously doubt that it would pass US EPA smog issues. Rumour has it the market for US Toyota diesels will be the 4.5tt PSD that Ford nixed from the f150. The 4.5 has been doing time in the IH LCF's for a year now with no issues to report. cookoo

7. HOIB

HOIB MYRMIDON

I heard the same thing and asked a salesman for an honest answer (??????). HE SAID that they probably woudn't get any better milage that the big three.

I've have no idea if he's tellin the truth, you know how salespeople can be

8. bikepilot

bikepilot Turbo IDI

I still want a diesel taco:) A full size is really over-kill for me (I haul a few dirt bikes in a 2k lbs trailer). As it is, my F-250 gets as good or better mileage towing than my little yota did, but the yota sure was a lot more fun to drive. If I could get a taco with a really efficent, reasonably powerfull diesel (say 25+ mpg empty, 17-20mpg towing) I'd have no second thoughts about trading the F-250 for it.

9. MMeier

MMeier Registered User

Why'd you do something stupid like that ?? :confused: :rotflmao

10. obinella

obinella Registered User

ok guys, call me a trouble maker , but i have a different view of Japanese vehicles. once bought a new datsun pu, before i got the butter cleaned off my rear i up and bought a new tot 4x4. call it a ignorance test and i passed twice. the tot engineers must have worked over time to design something that rides so bad with a seat that enhances the experience. the front wheels don't follow the contour of a pot hole, it magically floats to the exact center of the hole, slams to the bottom and then crashes into the other side all the while working in concert with the seat to make you an invalid. wouldn't Begin to tell you how many trouble free miles are on the running gear, you wouldn't believe me. that also was calculated, they want you to suffer a loooong time. front windshield so close to your nose they should offer it in prescription- magically fogs up the instant the key is turned,this bit of engineering stolen from the vw bug along with the non existent defrosters. side mirrors behind your head. i could go on for days, but ill let it rest. love my big ol soft riding, quiet,comfy,ford.

11. obinella

obinella Registered User

oh yeah, did i mention the coach work and frame are made with a metal that has a proclivity to rust? on a quiet morning you can enjoy a cup of Coffey and listen to it rust.

12. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Registered User

I'm gonna revive this thread, now that I've joined the forum and, um, seen it. LOL

In March, I was at the Columbus Auto Show. I talked to a rep from Toyota...

He said that they were going to put a Cummins in the Tundra, and then see how well it does. If it does well, there'll be a diesel in the Tacoma.

:)

13. Swany

Swany Consiglieri

If the engine doesn't rip the frame apart, I'd see the Cummins do a great job for those trucks.

14. Steve V.

Steve V. Registered User

It won't be getting the baby powerstroke. That is going to Ford finally.

You can price out an '07 Expedition right now and the diesel is listed as a future option (at a reasonable $2,500.00 more).

Steve

15. obinella

obinella Registered User

man, i hope you are right. that would give us another source for low mileage cummins engines. all you would have to do is clean up the pile of rust around it and you got it.