Toyota Diesel Dually............

Discussion in 'Rumor mill' started by mjstef, Nov 24, 2007.

1. mjstef

mjstef Big Sky Country....

2. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

From the read, it looks like they robbed the drivetrain similar to a IH 4300 with a DT466E and crammed it into a pickup chassis. wow. That would have been interesting if they went with the yellow worm idea. That would have set the whole show on it's ear:eek::D
    If they every green light this monstrosity, the big three will bee in serious trouble.
    The LP258 cab chassis is starting to put the hurt it IH for towtrucks.

3. tonkadoctor

tonkadoctor Full Access Member

It's old news to me already.

They have some changes to make before I shell out my $$$ and switch from Ford. I was really hoping for more than that from Toyota, guess my expectations were too high.
    1. I need an 8' bed, I can no longer use a 6' or 6.5' bed.
    2. I need an automatic tranny and I want at least a six speed double overdrive so I run low gears for hauling and run down the interstate economicly.
    3. 300hp and only 600 ft lbs of torque from an 8.0 liter inline 6:Whatever: ..... I'm not impressed. The smaller 7.2 liter CAT C7 makes up to 350 hp and 860 tq and the even smaller 6.7 liter Cummins is putting out 350 hp and 650 tq
    4. That thing is butt ugly, I hate the rear fenders and they can get in the way of some trailers being full width at the rear like they made them.

4. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

The simple fact that most of the stuff is robbed from a real truck is pretty good. No doubt about it, the concept does need fine tuning, but given the history of toyota actually listening to the consumer, your wishes just may be granted. Only part I disagree on is the Hp numbers. I'll take a understressed large diesel anyday and tune it to my liking. The C7 number is for EMS rigs. Trust me on this, the motor will be very thirsty.:eek:
    I was assigned a IH 4700 and I promptly went to my buddy's shop to have it bombed for EMS setting. The mileage went from 7mpg to 2-3mpg. Management figured it out at the end of the month when the fuel bill arrived. I lost a ass cheek on that one:eek:

5. mjstef

mjstef Big Sky Country....

Why do you NEED an auto trans?? Injury??? In my experience the auto chews up atl least 1 or more MPG thus the reason you do not see hardly ANY heavy trucks with an auto...........

6. tonkadoctor

I know the EMS numbers is the 350 HP rating. but 300hp and 860 tq is available to some knuclehead like me though.LOL

My brother has a 3126 CAT rated at 275 hp and 860 tq in his 35' Daemon Class "A" RV and that thing flat gets going down the road. Cruising 75 down the interstate he averages 10 - 11 MPG which ain't bad for a 20k brick.

7. tonkadoctor

Yes. I was medically retired 2-1/2 years ago from the Army. I am a 100% disabled veteran and have severe Arthritis in my both feet, both hips, both knees, neck, sternum and right shoulder amongst other thingscookoo ..... and I'm only 43.... Guess I jumped out of planes a few too many timesLOL

Doc told me I'd be in a wheel chair in about 5 - 10 years..... That was 3 years ago he told me that. I'm going down fighting but it ain't getting easier.

I'm getting so frigging bored sitting around the house retired for the last 2-1/2 years I'm gonna try to go back OTR as an owner operator again hauling travel trailers around the country with my dually after the 1st of the year and see how my body handles it.

I'll keep my eye on Toyota to see what they cook up over the next few years and have posted my opinion on a few of the autoblogs so we'll see what happens.

8. oldmisterbill

oldmisterbill Grumpy Old Man

Tonka -Remember to look me up when U go thru Oklahoma.I understand the boredom part very well.Forced retirement ain't fun.

9. tractorman86

tractorman86 Registered User

we rent penske trucks out of our dealership and the 26'ers are IH or Hino and i hate the Hinos they are crap:puke: !!!!! always braking and no where near the power of the IH:fan: .try again later Toyota!!!

10. sreeja

sreeja Dunce

It looks nice.So spacious.It is so simple.

11. sootman73

sootman73 Registered User

funny thing is that they put one ton gear on a 1/2 ton framecookoo ;Really :eek:

they got awhile to go before they catch up in the big truck market! its not very aero dynamic compared to other dually's(wide, ugly hips):puke:

12. BENZIN

BENZIN Full Access Member

yeah but look what half ton is realy a true half ton they rate the crap outa these new half tons so really theyare something like 3/4 ton trucks with 1ton frames badged as 1/2 tons .

13. sootman73

yea but its a toyota 1/2 ton frame though. cant really compare it to a ford 1/2 ton. i agree that the "1/2" tons nowadays are far from being half ton but you then compare that toyota frame to the 1 ton frames on a ford and they aren't even close!

14. BENZIN

BENZIN Full Access Member

that truck is nothing more than a pr machine to see what the if any body is interested .if alot of people want it they probly go to a whole new level with design

15. sootman73

ya thats tru. doesn't help that they give so much information about it. makes them the laughing stock when it comes to new light duty trucks.