Towing speed with 5th wheel?

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel kinda dumb asking this. I have an '88 f250 centurion dually with a 7.3 5speed and gear vendors. It'll be hauling a 35 ft 5th wheel. Dont know the weight of trailer yet. Gvwr on trailer is 13,6xx. I wont run it in double overdrive while towing. What is a typical hauling speed? I was figuring 65-70. Ill be taking it south where the speed limit is 80 for about 3 hrs of the drive.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know to watch my EGTs, so there is that limit. I guess what I am asking is, how fast can a trailer of that size be hauled. Its a 1993.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most trailer tires are speed rated to 65. Not that anyone heeds that lol. I'd say look over the trailer and go with your gut feeling. Take it slowly at first and it'll tell you when it's fast enough.

Age of the tires would also be a consideration.

Edit. You may not even be able to get the rig too fast with a NA idi.....

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it does have an ATS turbo kit on it. I pulled it to get the tires topped off and took it for a drive and it was maxed at about 55, sense then I have removed my muffler and turned my fuel up. I havent had a chance to hook up and see the difference, but empty its not even the same truck. I really enjoy driving it now.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Most trailer tires are speed rated to 65. Not that anyone heeds that lol. I'd say look over the trailer and go with your gut feeling. Take it slowly at first and it'll tell you when it's fast enough.

Age of the tires would also be a consideration.

this is what i consider to be the biggest overall limitation. next up you need to feel out the truck and see where it feels comfortable.

make sure you have proper trailer tire inflation, i have seen my share of blowouts myself and with other people. trailer tires really do not seem to be made as well nowadays as they used to.

otherwise i really like how my 5th wheel towes compared to a bumper pull camper.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some time recently, dot (or whoever) seems to have bumped up the st speed ratings...
Speed
(can my rig do 90 towing? )
"Possibly so but" speed aint the issue, STOPPING IS.
But you should be ok at 65-70 or so.
brb

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The rig will tell you what speed to run. The truck has as much to do with it as the trailer.

I pulled the same trailer with 2 different trucks. I had a 21 foot bumper tow Coachmen travel trailer. It was about 4500-5000 pounds “fully dressed”. When I bought it, I had a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 V-8 4x4. I had the weight distribution hitch and sway control. 60-65, in 3rd gear was really pushing it. I tried to stay below 60 if at all possible. I preferred non interstates. I traded the Durango I on my 03 Excursion (see sig). I used all the same hitch components (hitch, weight distribution and sway control). Towing with the Excursion, I crank up the A/C and set the cruise at the speed limit. The Excursion being heavier has more muscle to fight back with.... sometimes that’s more important than power......

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I tow my bumper pull 30ft trailer with a WD and anti-sway (scaled at 7500-8000lbs) I usually run at 65mph and just wave to people as they pass me. It feels stable at that speed and it doesn't feel like I am over working the van.

With your being a dually and a 5th wheel it will probably feel pretty stable as long as you don't have any worn parts. At the weight you are describing on the trailer I wouldn't push the speed though. I am betting that, even with the turbo kit, you will really be able to tell you have a heavy load. Plus there is the frontal area of the trailer which makes a big difference. As others have stated, towing safety is about being able to control the load and get it stopped. Except at the extremes it isn't about the power of the tow vehicle being able to pull the trailer at a higher speed.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best advise is drive what feels best to you. Tires tell you on the side their speed rating. I would not push that. Wind and terrain dictate how you drive also. My tires on my travel trailer are rated at 80 mph but you would never catch me going that fast. As a truck driver I have seen first hand what happens when wind, speed or blow outs destroy your camper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a "period correct" (1988) 5th wheel camper to pull behind my 87 F350. Also ordered new 5th wheel hitch & brake controller. Camper needs a new awning, new tires, & new deep cycle battery + some minor cosmetic stuff. Also ordered LED replacement lights for interior.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Well its pretty simple, my axle has picked my trailer speed for me! My truck runs at 2,800 RPM when going 65 mph empty, so I would tow around 2,300-2,400rpm putting me in the 60mph arena.

However the trailer should let you know where it is happy and is stable. You will hit that high speed where it bounces too much on bumps or pot holes, or sways, or tugs ******* hitch left to right, or does not slow down to well. So it will tell you what speed is reasonable and safe.

Ditto on what SJwelds said. Start out safe and slow for a couple dozen miles, speed up a little bit for a long section, do it again, and maybe push it a little for a short stint. You will know where its comfortable to tow.

My boat is big and heavy so hard to tow fast. Also a little harder to slow down. The extended trailer bounces the back end up and down over large bumps in the road. So 60mph is the goto speed.

My big tex car trailer tows a little wonky, does not pull super straight, wonders, and is hard to get to a good tongue weight with my jeep on it. So I do not like to pull faster than 65mph.

Now my Triton 20 foot aluminum deck over snowmobile trailer pulls like a dream. Pulls straight, does not sway, brakes good, hitch is tight, I do not get too worried about the speed even when loaded. However I choose to never go faster than 70 when permitted.(Out of state with a newer truck that can.) If something went bad, I want to know the truck towing could hold it on the road. Not whip the truck around like a rag doll.

Lastly many folks forget what the lever on the brake controller does. It applies only the trailer brakes. If you get into a sway at higher speeds, use the lever gently to apply the brakes. It will tension the two vehicles and get you straitened out. I see a lot of trailers jacknifed on the road, I think many did not know, forgot, or simply failed under pressure to try to do that. Then panicked hit the vehicle brakes to slow down, causing more sway, and then a jacknife or accident.

Safe pulling!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online