Tow bar for suburban

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went to the local uhaul after mesuring the width of my suburban and the burb is 3 inches too wide for the dolly I asked the guy who I know why they are so narrow and he said uhaul change the width within th last little while because people were overloading the Dolly's so anyways I built the tow bar last night after work and the brackets I'll post some pics in a little when I finally get out of my pajamas and become productive

Yup, yup I did lol! Luckily mine is one of the older ones.

Tow bar looks good!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Randy yeah I took it to Willard Utah pulled the burb at 70 the whole way and never had a problem but I did forget the safety that will be an add on before the next time I need it I'm going to keep it just in case I need to pull another rig somewhere

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally if it was me, I would just wrap a chain around the towed vehicles frame and through the tow bar and then into the safety chain loops. That way it's a safety for the whole tow bar not just the hitch part like it would be if they were welded/bolted to the tow bar itself. But... I appreciate unnecessary redundancy anyway.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on what Chillman 88 said. Better safe than sorry keep it together VS having a run away truck perhaps hurt someone else.

I now only use chains with tensioners when towing vehicles on my trailer. After having those 3' straps stretch, trailer flex, or the Jeep bounce and the little hooks unhooking. ( Saftey tip - If you use 3' straps with hooks, my advice is zip tie the hook in place, so if tension releases temporarily they do not become unhooked.) Now it is chains only for me!

Glad you had a uneventful tow! Nice of you to help family out!

It is too bad U-Haul and the rental companies scheme against us and are always trying to keep you from towing what you need towed.(Like the government, trying to fix speed limits for the least common denominator at your expense.) They could just rent bigger ones with higher ratings and surge brakes.

Also try your local rental tool yards, often they have regular sized dolly's (Not the U-Haul specials mentioned above.) and large heavy duty steal plate car trailers for rent. They will ask what you are towing? If you say Suburban they may decline to rent it or lie and say their trailer is too short. (Afraid of liability from rookie towers.) But it probably is not to short (Measure it.), or underrated, albeit it may just be long enough for a pickup. But if you say Jeep they will say "How many days you need it". These are not your medium duty Big Tex things, these are the commercial heavy duty trailers. My yard also says you have to have a 3/4 ton rating to rent their trailers, I feel that is reasonable.

Food for thought - All Suburban’s, Tahoe’s, Escalades, and Armada's have a hitch receiver, you cannot order without one! So you may not find a F150 at your local Budget with a hitch receiver (They order without them to prevent towing.), but their Suburban always has one! So whether you are a mountain biker with a bike rack or need a second tow vehicle for that UTV, ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile there is a way to rent a tow vehicle.

Lots of folks in my area on CL and Offer up who will rent you a dolly or trailer. Also ask them what do they do if the trailer fails. (Surge brakes go out, tire blows, smokes a wheel bearing, etc., etc.) If the trailer is used not sure that repair should fall back on you.

Happy towing!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Bradd Barmettler thanks it towed without a problem I still have the bar and have never used it again also the Uhaul trailers are **** for a fullsized rig I think max capacity os 7200 and the trailer is 2700 lol

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Glad you made it. :Thumbs Up

I couldn't risk an illegal flat-tow for 400miles. I'd beg/borrow/rent a 10-14k trailer for that.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@u2slow in Montana it isnt illegal to flat tow as long as you have lights but were also blessed with Leo's that have a head on their shoulders if its safe they will let her ride all day

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It would be nice if some of the car manufactures made a remote braking a option for the more popular tow vehicles like Jeeps, RAV4's, and others! (Like they do now for trailer brake controllers.) Perhaps use the ABS pump as the unit to apply brake pressure. (Whoops, maybe I should patent that idea first!) I have seen the remote brake systems (Not cheap!) but always wonder how well they work since the brake booster in the towed vehicle is not functioning with the engine off. I get the brakes still work without the booster getting vacuum, but you have to push hard, even then you do not get full braking like when the car is on.

If you have a remote brake system let me know your thoughts. Effective or not? Do you feel much of a difference in your RV? Does your RV actually need the brake assist from the towed vehicle?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think we've exposed that there isn't a north-american flat-towing standard, so it's not a big market for a remote-brake option. It's the heavier 'toads' than need it anyway - not the light ones.

Look how long it took to get a factory electric brake controller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online