torque screw vs fuel screw..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Much has been posted about leaving the torque screw alone. Thats a setting done in the shop on the special $100,000.00 machines you and I don't have. As for turning up the fuel , thats not a big deal but you really need a boost gauge and a pyro on the exhaust. The pyro tells you if your running to hot and the boost gauge tells you if you have increased the boost any. Would I experiment with the torque screw with the little bit I know about these pumps and engines... NOPE.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've messed with it. Got more out of timing then that screw. Just a waste of time and fuel backing it out. The fuel screw helps to a point then it also just becomes a waste of time and fuel. If I weren't tired of working on other peoples big trucks I'd turn mine back down and experiment where I get the most gain and least smoke out of my fuel screw and set the torque screw back to where I found it.
Pretty beat subject if you haven't noticed, like zf conversions, twin or bigger application pumps, big turbos, more power threads.

Black dawg

Reaction score
fuel screw sets limit of travel for plungers......torque screw limits max travel of metering valve.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've played with both. Justin Anderson would be your best bet to inquire about this. He's the pump expert. I have my pump maxed out and never see anything over 1000 degrees but I also have an upgraded exhaust housing , 3" outlet, and an intercooler. The torque screw did seem to help with low end but it gets smoke pretty quick. You can play with it and see if it helps or hurts the way your truck runs. Just count exactly how many turns you have moved it and write it down, so if you it doesn't give you the result you want, you can put it back to where you started

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking Mel is the injection pump expert round these parts. I'm mentioning this because I personally do not know Justin anderson.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Justin knows his stuff, but I don't think I'd call him a pump expert.
Gary, he's the R&D IDI Performance guy.
I think we have a reply from Mel about this somewhere.
Unless you have a fancy turbo setup that spools lower, I wouldn't mess with it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
Pulling apart a no good core pump would clearly show what these adjustments do. All this mystery with the "torque screw" isnt justified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online