Torque converter

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Well if it is not one thing it is another. I've been driving the truck 3 days now and I went and hooked it up to a trailer to haul a scrap car in and I fried my converter (no I did not use overdrive). I have just had this tranny rebuilt and have a low stall converter in it (precision converter if I remember right its blue). I can get a free replacement for it but was wondering if there wasn't a better choice out there. Also I don't pull a ton but when I do I like to go 70+ on the freeway and with out being able to go into overdrive am I going to be able to do that in this truck? Just looking to see what you guys think I am pulling the tranny back out on Saturday and the guy is going to go through it again to make sure everything is alright internally.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The 518 is essentially the same as a 46RH in the 2nd gen trucks. Suncoast makes top notch transmissions and I'm pretty sure there are rebuild kits to turn the 518/46RH into a 47RH. ATS also makes excellent transmissions and parts.

It's strange that your transmission rebuild is 3 weeks old and oyu already fried the TC. Sounds like you may have some other problem. You may also want to check your auxiliary cooler and lines to make sure they are flowing and functioning properly. The TF727 that was used in the early 1st Gen trucks was a 3 speed only with top gear being direct drive (no overdrive at all.)

Make sure to tell Santa you need a trannie temp gauge for your truck for Christmas.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Yeah this thing got hot to the point it took all the paint off the converter. They tranny lines seemed to be flowing freely but that is something I am going to check tomorrow when it is up on the lift. The guy who rebuilds my transmissions said he has seen this happen a few times before and thinks it was just bad TC which caused this but I am having him go through it again just to be sure ( I don't like having to be towed home).

I will look into Suncoast and see what they offer for converters. And Santa doesn't need to get me a temp gauge but he could finish putting it in for me, or maybe I will do that Saturday as well. Thanks for the info.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Definitely check the lines and you may also want to try to flush the heat exchanger as well. If you notice hot temps again you may want to upgrade to larger lines and/or a larger heat exchanger.

I agree it sounds like just a bad TC but there's no telling. Luck ta ya.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience a DTT torque converter? Just reading on other forums that some people were having good luck with them and wondered if anyone here uses one.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know this trans does not have a lock-up converter right? If I were building an auto, I would have done 46rh or similar to get the lock-up function. Depending on gearing, you may be able to go 70 mph in direct, but your fuel mileage will suffer badly. Also, is your TV cable adjusted correctly?
Travis..

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Yeah I know it is a non-lock up and looking back I probably should have gone lock up but I have already had the tranny rebuilt so I am going to stick with it for now. Gearing in my truck would be 4:10 with 35" tires. Fuel mileage sucks in everything I drive so I am used to it. Not sure what the TV cable is that the cable going from the throttle to the tranny? If so I did not adjust it myself but the tranny shop did a few times.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the cable I'm talking about. If that cable isn't hooked up, or isn't adjusted right, you can smoke a trans due to low line pressure. Just a little tidbit for you. Also, if you aren't familiar with mopar transmissions, always check fluid level in neutral. These transmissions don't circulate fluid in park, it just dumps back to the pan. When checking the fluid level, or idling/parking with engine running for any length of time, put the trans in neutral so fluid circulates. Some shift kits make it so it will circulate in park, but if you don't know 100% what you have, neutral is 100% sure.
Travis..

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Yeah the cable is hooked up then and I am not all that familiar with these trannys and am always trying to learn more like why I have had to check it in neutral. Thanks for the info. I just ordered the DTT billet converter which should get to me in a few weeks so I will see how that one works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online