Torch to Spindle

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a ball joint job and it looks like I may be the first person to service this Dana 50 axle since the truck was new in 1991. After I removed the spindle nuts, the spindle itself was seized to the knuckle. I had already done the other side so I new I was in for a fight but this side just would not come. I eventually pulled out the torch and began heating the spindle around the mounting flange. I know this is probably not recommended and I started thinking about the heat treat that may be on these parts from the factory. I had the spindle pretty warm and the spindle studs were cherry red for a short time. Are these studs something I should look at replacing before I reassemble? The spindle was not glowing or anything but it was definitely very hot. Also, I figured I would go ahead and get the outer u joint while I was there. Looks like while removing it I bent down the “lip” where the snap ring sits. Anybody have a method for bending these back other than a hammer and punch? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would think that replacing the studs would be a good idea at this point. You don't want to take chances with these. 8 new studs and some labor is a lot cheaper than it would be if the wheel came off at highway speeds.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
It’s worse than that....it’s 5 studs about 7/16 that keep the whole wheel/tire/ hub/ spindle on the truck. Please be sure to change those! Remember it is the near press register for that keeps the spindle on, assisted by those 5 tiny studs.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It’s worse than that....it’s 5 studs about 7/16 that keep the whole wheel/tire/ hub/ spindle on the truck. Please be sure to change those! Remember it is the near press register for that keeps the spindle on, assisted by those 5 tiny studs.
My fault. I automaticly thought of the wheel studs when I read that. I should have read a little closer. YES replace those for sure!

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could file/dremel the grove for the snap ring
but cherry red is probably a little warmer than "pretty warm"
you might think about a junkyard/ebay replacement
theres a couple on ebay for 60$ or so

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still keeps things from rusting together, I use it on lug bolts all the time. I am sure it is about as water resist as any grease. I use the gray Permatex stuff, have for years.
True. I still recently bought a new bottle of the grey permatex stuff, even though I have, and use the green grease now.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to use the regular permatex but won't buy it again. It washed out way too fast. I bought a bottle of "marine grade" antiseize. Holds up MUCH better and doesn't dry out as fast either. Might still be permatex, not sure but the marine grade is way better.