to waste gate or not to watse gate

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys im looking to pick your brains. im still building from the ground up my 64 f350 with a cummins. now im getting ready to buy my engine and build it up. i want to know about running a waste gate, so what are the pros and cons to running ether thanks for your input guys

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't have a wg on mine so I can't tell You if having one will be better or not, I think it depends on what do You want to do with the truck. I pull trailers with mine with all kinds of things behind it, usually heavy and the turbo I have work just fine.
Btw that 64 is freaking ;Sweet man, that is My favorite truck, right before the twin I beam -Drool. Is that a full time 4x4 too.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
It also depends on the power levels you're going to be running which will determine your boost level. I don't need a WG on mine because boost won't make it over 21 psi since I have the stock governor spring. I run out of RPMs before I ever get close enough to worry about the head gasket. If you're going through the engine and puling the head you might as well fire ring it. This should give you capacity of upwards of 50 psi. IIRC the stock gasket can handle up to about 30-35 PSI.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to decide what you want your engine to be. I have a pretty small exhaust housing on my truck (12cm), this is what most of the late '90s trucks came with. I don't have the gate hooked up, and make in the neighborhood of 26psi. This is with small pump adjustments (VE pump, and yes small, not joking) and a stock gov spring. If you run a small hot side housing and you are making any real power, you will pretty much have to have a functioning wastegate. What you need will depend on your intended use and the rest of your combination.
Travis..

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Actually the only 2nd Gen trucks to have the 12 cm2 housing was the automatic trannie trucks in '01 and '02 since they had the HY35 turbo. All the rest had HX35 turbos with 16 cm2 housings. The '94 and '95 12V trucks had the WH1C turbo which is a 1st Gen H1C with a wastegate making it essentially the same as a HX35 (can't recall if they changed to the 16 cm2 housing in '94.) The 1st Gen H1C had a variety of exhaust housings; the rule of thumb is they had 18 cm2 housings except for some 90-91 trucks that had a 20 or 22 cm2 housings (lovingly referred to as the Lagmaster turbos.)

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the 91.5s had a 21cm housing. My truck had one, it's on my bench collecting dust. Lagmaster doesn't quite do it justice though. My truck made a whopping 12psi when stock and you had to wind the **** out of it to get that.

Back to the original question. If you want a responsive engine that doesn't smoke, you are most likely going to have to run a smaller gated housing to keep boost under control if you are making some decent power. The non-gated housings are typically the bigger ones which aren't as responsive down low, thus a bit more lag and more smoke until the turbo lights.
Travis..

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 has a 18cm, and I may downsize it, but, I can peg my pyro as it is...
I have the AFC tuned as lean as possible and a the star wheel turned up, not down... AFC cover is shaved and smoke screw is backed all the way out, and you still have to be careful not to black out intersections... LOL
I really need more turbo...
My truck started off stock at 14 psi, and currently makes 35, with only pump mods...

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like you need more turbo, and more intake volume too. Bigger piping and intercooler wouldn't hurt. I too have been incrementally going up on the star wheel to cut down on the low boost smoke.
Travis..

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
You also might want to check your intercooler. With that much 'moke and heat you may have an issue there. These ICs aren't known for their volume or flow characteristics and with their age they may have developed cracks in the housing or the boots.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries on that, it is definitely not losing boost somewhere, it will hang with my buddy's hotted up 24V without issue once the turbo is lit up, and if it wasn't for the turbo lag off the bottom it would be a pretty close race.
I definitely need more turbo, a 4" exhaust and all the other goodies, but, right now it hasn't left the yard since febuary due to a dead g-rag... lol