Tire / weight question for the OB gurus

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock tires off drive side sticker states LT 235/85/16e what would the e mean as well as the front tires pressure says 51 psi

Rear tires LT236/85/15e n tires pressure is 80 psi cold

Why the 20 something psi difference.

Also front weight says GAWR is 3965

Back says GAWR 6084

Big difference as well as what is GAWR since google went retarded on me

P.s thanks to all

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
E= load range.
Don't go off the sticker for pressure. As soon as you change from the stock tire, that mostly goes out the window.
Gross axle weight rating. Meaning stock scales under the front axle, and the rear axle, and you better not be over.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pressure difference is for the weight carrying capacity. Higher pressure in the rear because that's where the weight is when you haul/tow. The front only has to hold the weight of the truck unless you slap a plow on, then I'd bump it up a little. I run the rear under pressured until I load it up. When it's empty the back end is too light and floats around.

If you change your tire size go by what is on the tire so it doesn't burst on you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The pressure on the side is max, don't run them at that.....
Search here or elsewhere for chalk test.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GAWR is Gross Axel Weight Rating. If you are running the stock tires, I would run what the pressure says on the sticker. You can run up to the max sidewall cold pressure, but I have run into tire wear problems doing that, especially on a wider tire. Running the pressure too high will wear the middle of the tire out before the outside edges. Running the pressure too low will wear the outside edges and not the middle of the tread.

You can experiment with it if you want. You will get better fuel mileage running the pressure higher, but you do get a rough ride also.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same for our trucks, but car manufacturers invariably specify a low front tire pressure so the vehicle will understeer instead of oversteer.

Understeer: hit the obstacle with your front corner.
Oversteer: hit the obstacle with your rear quarter... :rolleyes:

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now I know if u go bigger say like people running massive mud tires you need to upgrade suspension etc, but what about width size as go from a 235 to say 265 or a 315 but still stay at the 85/16.

would you need to upgrade springs suspension etc or as a old timer once told you wouldn't need to

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not enough tire to warrant an upgrade to your suspension. That is a general statement, you might need an upgrade if you did nothing. Time takes a toll on anything mechanical.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now I know if u go bigger say like people running massive mud tires you need to upgrade suspension etc, but what about width size as go from a 235 to say 265 or a 315 but still stay at the 85/16.

would you need to upgrade springs suspension etc or as a old timer once told you wouldn't need to

235 or 265 or 315 is only the width. 85 is the sidewall height in proportion to the first number. 16 is simply the rim size.

To not go too far into detail, 265/75/16 are basically the same height/OD as the 235/85/16s (about 32 inches tall). They are about an inch or so wider though (30mm to be more precise). If memory serves, 315/75/16 is basically 35x12.50x16.

I don't think they even make a 265 or 315 with a 85 profile but I could be wrong.