Thumping only while cruising?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've decided to name this new truck Thumper! Being a single cab long bed dually, and because of this thumping sound it makes once I'm cruising at 65 mph or above in 5th gear. I'd almost buy that it's high pressure air buffering under the truck, but it stops as soon as I clutch. There is a bit of a growling sound any other time, but that goes away when turning left, or I suspect, anytime the cab shifts upwards enough to not contact the Banks Sidewinder turbo (louder when turning right, also stops with clutch).

I haven't pulled the bellhousing transmission cover yet, but I'm certain that it still has the DMF and it's not in good shape. I can hear that familiar rattling, but worse that it ever was on the crew cab before I installed an SMF kit. I hope to rectify that this upcoming weekend or within a few weeks. It almost sounds like a dead piston or injector knock maybe, but it doesn't occur at any other road speed at the same engine speed. Return lines are a little leaky, but to holes in caps indicating a stuck open injector. Has a thumping at idle that can only be heard inside the cab, nothing under hood, even with the Banks intake hat off, so I don't think there are any valves sticking, and I have been told that many IDI's with turbos do that same thing.

Any ideas what to look at? Return line kit is on the way and that'll delete the return line manifold olives, replaced the hardline from the filter head to IP already and will get the line to the filter head when I can get a diode and holder to wiring in my key-on priming circuit and install the electric lift pump (copying the cclb setup), and that will eliminate all the olives.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
It takes very little drivetrain contact with the cab to make a crazy amount of noise.

Turbo stuff is pretty common, starting to see transmission and t case contact also.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It takes very little drivetrain contact with the cab to make a crazy amount of noise.

Turbo stuff is pretty common, starting to see transmission and t case contact also.
Possibly just cowl-turbo contract? The sheet metal and bushings are in great shape in this truck, else I would've have bought it. The red/white crew cab has the whole driver's side frame sitting in the frame rail and only the passenger front cab mount is the only solid one, or one that's still there at all.