Thoughts on potential truck purchase.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/santa-cruz-1993-ford-f-turbo-diesel/7080446833.html

I just test drove the truck in the ad and the body definitely looks rougher in person but mostly because some trim is missing and the paint is messed up in places where it looks like hood and door wind deflectors were installed. One negative not mentioned in the ad is somebody installed a sunroof and the owner did say he had to put some RTV over part of the seal to stop a tiny leak. The other iffy part is that there are 5th wheel rails in the bed.

But other than the sunroof the vehicle was nice to drive. Trans shifts like butter, 4.10 open diff, no t-case shifter rattle, glowplug system seems to be in great condition as it fired right up after a short glow period. The exhaust is not stock--it exits before the rear passenger tire and looks to be 3 or 3.5 inch. I couldn't tell if it had the stock down pipe or the upgraded one as it was tightly wrapped in a blanket. The truck accelerates great, idle sounds good, some gray haze on cold start but dissipates after about a minute or less.

Some of the back story on the truck is that it came from Texas and made a stop or two in CA before the current owner. Supposedly the owner who was from Texas was a diesel mechanic and was the one who put in the current IP and probably the exhaust modification. The truck is definitely not stock as the ad suggests but has been loved/enjoyed by a couple owners.

Now I'm sure everyone will think the asking price is too high, so do I, but everything cost more in CA it seems and that in over 1.5 years of looking this is only the second reg cab IDI-Turbo that has come up for sale within 3 hours drive. This truck was only a 20 minute scoot away and that is worth something to me. So I'm curious what y'all think of the rig and what a fair CA price might be.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree that it sounds high. I have no idea what it should be worth in California. To me, being a regular cab makes it worth less. I currently have one and honestly don't want another one. The IP was rebuilt. By who? Did they do a good job or will it need to be replaced again shortly? The IP was replaced, but not the injectors? That's not a good sign. Another thing to consider is that $7000 in parts doesn't raise the value by the same $7000. These are some things that I would be thinking about if I was considering buying it.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Many unknowns with the IP. The guy has a fat stack of receipts but I haven't looked them over. I'm tempted to wait and see if he drops the price--can't imagine someone paying the full amount. The reg cab is worth more to me because I need a shorter wheelbase than my current rig. Spent yesterday driving on a road called "Last Chance" where my truck just barely makes some of the corners without rubbing the flatbed on the hillside.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's about a $6kish truck where I live. Agreed with other poster, dumping 7k into a truck doesn't mean you get that back. I'd be looking at receipts, ip replaced but not injectors? If it was supposed owned by a diesel mechanic they'd know to do both. Still, from the pics the engine bay doesn't look too bad. Battery cables look good, are those matching interstates? How's the speedo at speed? Any wobble? How'd the tranny shift? Any hang ups when down shifting? How's the rest of the engine bay look? Obviously it won't be pristine but if you got an oil cooler leak at least you know what you're getting into. Did you cold start it?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Exhumis, yeah I should have gone over the receipts when I was there but I felt like I had plenty to consider even without seeing them. Matching new batteries and new cables all around including chassis grounds, speedo and tach were steady, tranny is so smooth I can't believe it's a diesel truck. A bit of oil on passenger side valve cover but pretty minimal. Cold start in CA? Well it was in the mid 50s anyway but it fired right up after a short glow period. Owner said he hadn't serviced the plugs so couldn't say which brand they were.

I've been thinking I could offer $7k--mostly because the cosmetic issues are things I likely can't fix. But I'm also waiting to hear back from my welder buddy about the reality of removing the sunroof and welding it shut. Although years apart, the only regular cab tucks I have gone to look at both had sunroofs installed that were not mentioned in the ad. Seriously, who puts a sunroof in a reg cab work truck?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only $7k if it were a less than 150k PSD for me. I know it is 1993 IDI

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IMHO, too much for a std cab TTB truck.

I like the ZF and IDIT though.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only $7k if it were a less than 150k PSD for me. I know it is 1993 IDI

No shortage of Powerstrokes to choose from around here but not too many decent IDI.

I'm gonna' have to pass on this one. I just can't get over the sunroof, so effin' stupid to put a sunroof in a truck.

Last edited:

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I paid 3900 for my 1994 IDI van, body and frame in good shape, 300K miles, driveable, but actual engine and transmission condition unknown.

Orange County, California. Craigslist listing. At that time, several vans of this vintage were listed for similar prices. This was at the higher range, but then it was an IDI.

Upon taking delivery of the van, the transmission began acting erratically. Trouble codes pointed to bad VSS sensor.

Upon removal of VSS sensor from rear end of van, it had lots of iron filings on it, and the mechanic that was helping me advised me to replace the rear end gearing. I intend to keep this van 'till I die, so I went for full replace. It's a 20 year old machine...things are bound to wear, eh?

Okay, I am now another 3000 into it, after that and numerous little things.

That did not fix the transmission. I threw about 1000 at it before finally finding the root cause... An intermittent problem on the PSOM. Along the way, new starter, alternator, and batteries. Well, the PO mostly used this thing as a storage shed, not a vehicle.

Another 3500 went into the cooling system. I replaced the whole shebang. Radiator, hoses, pumps, belts, allaA/C components, everything.

Then spent another 3500 replacing the front suspension, tires, and powdering six tire rims, both bumpers, and hitch.

I am now about 15K$ into it. But it looks and runs really nicely now. This is about
what's being asked at the used car lots for later model gasser vans with pretty interiors, better paint jobs, and a warranty that looks like AT&T wrote it.

I know what I have now. I flat do not want the new technology with it's myriads of things to break...I want a simple van thats easier to fix. This is the one my friend, a diesel mechanic, told me to get.

I did so, and am quite happy with it. It's like my Grandpa's old tractor...strong and reliable...chug chug chug all day and not think a thing about it.

If any of you need a good diesel guy around Orange, California, come see my friend Fernando, at Auto Diesel Repair shop on Chapman Avenue in Orange. But be prepared to find street parking...Fernando has more business already than he can handle... he's quite good and he has people coming in from neighboring states to see him. He's a favorite of the local landscapers; they keep him quite busy with their older diesels.

As much as Fernando has helped me, I am sure he would remember me as that old long-haired goat with the white 7.3L van. Oh gawd, how many hours he and some of crew have spent helping me get that old van's innards up to *****.

Fernando does not have a web page, but Yelp has him in their database...

https://m.yelp.com/biz/auto-and-diesel-service-orange

I also have one of my reviews posted there too.

I guess when you own one of these old beasts, you feel a lot more comfortable having someone who grew up with this ancient technology even touch it.

I post this in response to those of you who have posted your favorite local mechanic. Believe me, if I am in your neck of the woods and I get nailed, I am going to someone you guys have vetted first. Even sight unseen being towed.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No shortage of Powerstrokes to choose from around here but not too many decent IDI.

I'm gonna' have to pass on this one. I just can't get over the sunroof, so effin' stupid to put a sunroof in a truck.

You made the right choice: that sunroof thing would have bugged the **** out of you for $7k. For $3500 you could have lived with it. I'm kind of this way with red interior: it's gotta be a great deal if the interior color is going to "make me mad" all the time.

Keep looking: you'll find your single cab eventually.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Black dawg

Reaction score

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess everybodys "cream of the crop" is relative, but an over 200k truck with add ons (maybe done right????) doesn't fit for me.

Sure "cream of the crop" is a subjective notion but finding a 1993.5 - 1994.5 IDI-T in decent shape is tough, and ~200k isn't bad for the age of the vehicle. Of course bone stock would be better. Hopefully a modded truck means someone loved it enough to do it right, but used is always a huge gamble. I've seen a few with closer to 120k but they all had automatics and sat and sat and sat.