1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This kills me...80-86 dash

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by david85, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

1. david85

david85 Full Access Member

It's not often you find even one nice dash from that era. Here's a lot of five for my American friends down south. Looks like he wont ship up here, so maybe someone down there can take advantage.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/80-86-Ford-...a=1&pg=2045573&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I've looked at the plastic slip on dashes now that they've been out for a while, but from what I read, they don't hold up very well. And it also seems that after all these years, the supplier still refuses to publish decent photos of the product.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Coverlay-Ma...a=1&pg=2045573&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

2. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

If you need one I can buy it and ship it to you

david85 and Cainon like this.
  3. david85

PM sent...

4. catbird7

catbird7 Full Access Member

I just re-built one of these trucks and my opinion the world of plastic interior components has come a long long way since 1980. I bought a dash cover from LMC and it looks pretty good glued over the top of a factory sun damage original. IMG_7348.jpg IMG_7349.jpg

david85, saburai, riphip and 2 others like this.
  5. Therkhan7_3Turbo

Therkhan7_3Turbo Full Access Member

Now that's a truck interior... Vinyl floors. And just the necessities.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

6. catbird7

Yep, it's a "plain jane" work truck. It was an XL with auto and AC. Crank windows, rubber floor mat, vinyl seat. I installed a newer cloth seat from a bricknose truck. It's a gasser, however maybe someday swap to diesel???

7. riphip

riphip Supporting Member Supporting Member

LMC dash cover has worked for mine for past 10+ years. Has not come loose. I did paint it before install. Same Maroon as catbird7

8. catbird7

I actually took that photo to illustrate how terrible the vinyl floor covering fit. Ended up shipping back to LMC and bought a factory rubber mat from Dennis Carpenter Ford.

9. carsonlhammond

carsonlhammond Full Access Member

I’m scared to see how their sound deadening/insulation and carpet kit fit my dentside. I plan to rebuild the interior back to the way it was from the factory and I want it to look that way and not have a bunch of bubbles. Another concern is the trans hump, some people have to split the carpet and patch it up somehow because the trans tunnel is too high so the edges won’t reach the door jams. That just sounds janky and hard to make look good.

10. catbird7

For the black diesel, I bought carpet & headliner from "Stock Interiors" and the fit was awesome! Headliners are built with hard plastic backer which is far superior to the old cardboard factory stuff. All of the holes were pre-cut, super nice fit. 1987 f25070.JPG

11. david85

Are you still able to remove the dash normally with the screws? I've heard some slip on covers make removal of the dash virtually impossible.

I'm also curious about the door covers as well. Mine are pretty sun damaged at the top. If I replace mine, I would try to preserve the lariat trim and fabric coverings but that would be fairly easy I think.

12. riphip

riphip Supporting Member Supporting Member

I installed my dash cover while dash was out. Used lots of weights on it. Fasteners are still visible as before.

david85 likes this.
  13. catbird7

Yes, the best way to install cover is to remove from truck first. Same attachment screws are re-used. Here's another pic of it. Also notice how well the rubber floor covering fits as compared to the vinyl one. IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0121.JPG