Thinking about going to a bbc... advice is welcomed

Crunky944

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just sold my 94 f250 4x4 5 spd IDI turbo. I have also owned an F350 6.9 N/A dually, and I still own a 94 F150 I6. I love the IDI motors, but these era Fords are just not that comfy to ride around in. So these are what I have experience with- and this is what I am looking for:

I am looking at used trucks under $10k. I am looking mostly at 1 tons, and would really prefer drw. I want something that will handle a slide in camper with ease(I don't own one yet), and be a little more comfortable than my last few trucks. The only diesels in my price range are either pretty beat up, or have tons of miles, or both. I have found a few local 454 one tons that are in really nice shape ranging in price from $6k-$9k, depending on year. The cheaper trucks are the TBI trucks, and from what I can find online the 94-95 TBI big blocks are pretty evenly matched to the stock IDI turbo in the Fords, on paper at least. The vortec 454 offers something like ~40 more hp but with similar torque figures.
I have found one 8.1 dually locally, it has 202k miles but is a reg cab.

Am I getting caught up too much in mileage and engine specs? There are a couple of really low mileage TBI trucks that fit the bill, but I read so much smack talk about the TBI big blocks online.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Broaden your search area and you can find many decent shape 7.3 powerstrokes in your price range.
Even idi's.
Or cumminGs.......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dad has a 7.4 in a 95 2500, ok on power but has over 260,000 miles on it now and towing you would be lucky to get 6 mpg. any healthy turbo diesel would get much better MPGs and have more power. a Cummins powered anything would give you good results.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is completely different than I️ was expecting.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^If you're gonna daily drive a big block, you might as well take a BBC.
Better? Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online

No members online now.