Think my pump Crapped on me.

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
Driving my 90 F350 when suddenly lost power and engine shut down. Would restart with much effort, run for a while then same thing. This happened about a dozen times on the way back to the house. She has a new filter and new fuel pump so guessing it must be the injection pump. Thoughts? Thanks.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d check to make sure that you’re getting fuel flow going into the injection pump. I had a similar situation and it was an obstruction in my fuel line. The plastic piece that holds the fuel strainer had disintegrated and a piece of it got sucked into the line.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's well worth getting a fuel pressure gauge plumbed in (electric would be nice to see on dash), vs. spending $1000 on a IP to find out it's a clogged line. Worse case you have fuel pressure, now you have a new IP and a useful gauge:D

Never-Have-I-Ether

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's well worth getting a fuel pressure gauge plumbed in (electric would be nice to see on dash), vs. spending $1000 on a IP to find out it's a clogged line. Worse case you have fuel pressure, now you have a new IP and a useful gauge:D

Never-Have-I-Ether

For diagnostic purposes, I temporarily I rigged up a cheap HFT fuel pressure/vacuum tester on the air purge valve of the filter head by removing the core and shoving a hose on the barb. It's such low pressure that it doesn't blow off, at least if you still have the return line connected to the filter head. I drove around testing the pressure on my RV with the gauge zip tied to the cowl so I could see it when driving without running the line inside in case of a hose or gauge leak/failure.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: