Think I found my problem-IPR solenoid. No ohm resistane on contacts. Problem?

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a crank but no start prob on a 99 7.3. Replaced the Cps with genuine ford part, still no start. Replaced fuel pump on frame rail because I thought it might no be making enough pressure, still no start. Started reading up on how the HEUI Injection sytem works and kept coming back to the IPR valve..................
I read up on how to remove it and clean it, which I did, but just for giggles I decided to ohm the solenoid to see what resistance it carried and it didn't register.
If that IPR solenoid senses High pressure oil which causes the injectors to fire and the solenoid is open and doesn't sense oil pressure, then could that be my problem?
Anyone ever had experience with this?
I checked the codes with an OBD-II scanner and it showed no faults.

I don't even know if what im saying is right, makes sense, or is even logical as tonight will be my 5th night at trying to figure out why this damn trucks injectors aren't firing and im at my wits end-HELP!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the iprsolenoid is an electro magnet.just a coil of wire that when given power and ground creates a magnetic field.i dont think it has any resistance to it.

have you tried hittin it with ether?wait atleast a minute after the WTS light goes out.dont use alot.

howfast is it spinning over?the psd islike the idi and needs to crank fast in order to start.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I have a crank but no start prob on a 99 7.3. Replaced the Cps with genuine ford part, still no start. Replaced fuel pump on frame rail because I thought it might no be making enough pressure, still no start. Started reading up on how the HEUI Injection sytem works and kept coming back to the IPR valve..................
I read up on how to remove it and clean it, which I did, but just for giggles I decided to ohm the solenoid to see what resistance it carried and it didn't register.
If that IPR solenoid senses High pressure oil which causes the injectors to fire and the solenoid is open and doesn't sense oil pressure, then could that be my problem?
Anyone ever had experience with this?
I checked the codes with an OBD-II scanner and it showed no faults.

I don't even know if what im saying is right, makes sense, or is even logical as tonight will be my 5th night at trying to figure out why this damn trucks injectors aren't firing and im at my wits end-HELP!

Have you verifide that your injectors and programing will work together the 94-97 fords used single shots and the 99 up used split shots but I have no idea what the internationals used and when they swapped over

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
singles will run on splits programming and splits will run on singles programming.they may run right or they may not but they will run

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem WAS Ipr solenoid. It ohm'd out at 0, the new one at 10.6. Unfortunately just the solenoid was unavailable, the entire valve assy and solenoid was all that was avail. Replaced it and truck runs, and runs DAMN well I must say. Starting to like powerstrokes now that I'm understanding how they work..............

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Problem WAS Ipr solenoid. It ohm'd out at 0, the new one at 10.6. Unfortunately just the solenoid was unavailable, the entire valve assy and solenoid was all that was avail. Replaced it and truck runs, and runs DAMN well I must say. Starting to like powerstrokes now that I'm understanding how they work..............

yep once you learn how they work and the most common little problems they are quite easy to work on

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

why didnt ya just take the one off the old motor?the new one with the valve had to have cost around 250.00 if you went to ford for it.and i believe if you went to an IH dealer you couldve got just the solenoid.but wierd though,ive never heard of them going bad.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94F450- This was a different truck than I was describing in my other thread, still haven't figured out whats wrong with the truck that had the engine swap yet.....................

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94F450- This was a different truck than I was describing in my other thread, still haven't figured out whats wrong with the truck that had the engine swap yet.....................

ok thought it was the same truck. but still coulda stole the one off the other motor and saved some money though.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
why didnt ya just take the one off the old motor?the new one with the valve had to have cost around 250.00 if you went to ford for it.and i believe if you went to an IH dealer you couldve got just the solenoid.but wierd though,ive never heard of them going bad.
Have you bought just the Solenoid?
So far for the whole thing, I'm finding RiffRaff to be the cheapest. Right around $170.
In other people's trucks, I've seen the Solenoid fail, but the rest be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online