Thermostat housing

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I found that the PO has filled that hole in the thermostat housing with RTV for a reason. The coolant is now bypassing the thermostat. The thermostat housing is no longer available at parts stores or through a ford dealership so I’ll have to pull one off one of my parts trucks. I read something about them having a bearing/valve thingamajigger and was wondering if anyone had a pic of what one is supposed to look like so I can make sure I pull a good one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can leave it open, or plug it.
If you plug it, you should drill a small hole in the thermostat so you can still bleed out the air.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can’t get my engine up to temp anymore now that I’ve replaced my water pump and thermostat. Thermostat is 190 and looks identical to the one I took out. I figure it’s either got to be me clearing that hole causing it to bypass the thermostat or a bad fan clutch.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet not.... Something is amiss.
Op I think type4 has a thread about bleeder 101 on here....

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s just an advanced auto but it looks exactly like the one I took out.its possible it old one may have had a bleeder Which could be why the PO had removed the cork/bearing and filled the hole with RTV.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I just refill that hole will that solve my issue? I wasn’t having any problems before my water pump went out.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the stickies...
The stat is GARBAGE..
Only motorcraft

My 88 had a china statt in it, when I got it....(locked open) it never got hot in town.
Swapped it out, no bleeder in housing ,left it open, NO more issues.