The search for the right motor

Catimann

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a real ICE lover and find the sound to be perhaps the nicest part of the whole thing. Like a Detroit 871 powered busses that I rode as a kid, watching the drivers shift gears and imprinting the sound in my mind forever.
I think this all started even before I was born because my parents home was 50ft from a rail line going up the steepest hill in the area. As a child I remember being woken up by the horn and then being lullabied back to sleep as it slowly chugged on by up the hill (It could take minutes to go by if the load was heavy). I can sleep on a train just fine, thanks.

Anyhow I don't think an 871 is what I want in my old 76 Dodge Chinook motorhome ( well maybe secretly I do), but something diesel that has good grunt and is easy on the fuel consumption. It will be the retirement unit and I have a few 10,000+ mile trips planned. I want to tow an enclosed trailer with a 76 Guzzi in it.
Have been looking at some interesting ideas such as the new R28 cummins (don't like the electronics) the old 4BT and the OM606 The 606 I was told would create too much heat in a bigger vehicle. Simple seems to be the best bet and reliable. I know electronic controls helps with mpg but simple is more important to me. I love the idea of a battery and fuel!

I am open to ideas and would love to hear the reasons for the suggestions.

Andrs

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've dealt with OM606 in jeep swap. It was a good engine in a jeep but I agree with what you heard I think it's a bit small for a motorhome.